IR filter for Nikon

Sp34k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dear PhotoForum citizens

I recently bought a Nikon D60 to find out if photographing is my style, it's very interesting so far :)

I also bought a 62mm, 950nm infrared filter for my Nikon but when I attach it to my lense everything turns..... Black .... I have tried to do some researching on Google but all I found was some crazy description of how the IR filter WORKS, not how to use it :thumbdown:

I hope some of you guys can help me out here ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Dear PhotoForum citizens

I recently bought a Nikon D60 to find out if photographing is my style, it's very interesting so far :)

I also bought a 62mm, 950nm infrared filter for my Nikon but when I attach it to my lense everything turns..... Black .... I have tried to do some researching on Google but all I found was some crazy description of how the IR filter WORKS, not how to use it :thumbdown:

I hope some of you guys can help me out here ;)

Cheers,
Mike

My understanding is that this is a filter for film photography. It removes (filters out) all wavelengths except IR. Digital cameras have a filter in front of the sensor that removes the IR wavelengths.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
To the best of my knowledge, that filter is not intended for use with your camera. I don't know what else to say.

Plato is correct in post #2, dSLR's and most other digital cameras have an IR filter built onto the sensor. With out it the colors would look unnatural. If you place the IR filter on the camera, you are filtering out all light except the IR, then the sensor filters out the IR leaving you with no light hitting the sensor. The filter was a waste of money unless you plan on shooting IR FILM.

If you really want to do IR digital photography, then you need to get your camera converted, once converted it will only be good for IR photography. Here is one of the many places that can do it for you...
Digital Silver Imaging - Museum-quality black and white prints made from digital files

Dear ErectedGryphon

Thank you for you're participation in this thread..

So, what you're saying is that DigitalSilverImaging.com can "convert" my camera? If so, will it have a huge effect on my regular photographing? Let's say I wan't to do Non-IR photos, is that possible?

Once converted, you will no longer be able to use it for normal shooting.

You would need another camera, I recommned the same body brand, (so you wont need new lenses)?.

Correction; Looks like they calibrate the lens to work better with the sensor too, so another lens may need to be purchased also.

Last edited:
Dear ErectedGryphon

Thank you for you're participation in this thread..

So, what you're saying is that DigitalSilverImaging.com can "convert" my camera? If so, will it have a huge effect on my regular photographing? Let's say I wan't to do Non-IR photos, is that possible?

The statement below is quoted from his post. What part didn't you understand?

"...once converted it will only be good for IR photography."

you can use IR filters on digital cameras, but not newer ones as they have increased the blocking filters.you need to find an older camera.I use IR filters of various strengths on a D100, you won't be able to see anything after placing the filter on the lens and the times are long; i.e. 10seconds, so you will need a tripod. The image will be magenta and needs to be converted to a black and white image.There are some on the older panasonic cameras that do well in night mode.I have a fuji that has been converted for IR, and it will allow handholding shooting and the ability to see what where your aiming . It will also allow "normal" shots, but you must change the filters to allow this to happen. Check out Maxmax as another source.If you want to do "false colors" do some research as the sensor will play a large part in the tonal qualities along with which filter one is using.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back