IR Flash

ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are some examples of IR flash as I mentioned in previous posts. No masterpieces or anything. Just me goofing around and experimenting with the materials.

camera: Pentax ZX-5 w/50mm f/1.7, handheld
flash: Vivitar Series 1 for Pentax, mini softbox with 2 strips of unexposed but developed E-6 as a flash filter
film: Kodak high speed BW IR in D-76 1:1

None of these people saw the flash.

IRflash1.jpg

IRflash2.jpg

IRflash4.jpg

IRflash5.jpg

They cannot SEE the flash?
You can take party photos like this and they don't get blinded by your flash?
Wow.
That's a good thing!
I hate to take photos using the flash (right on!) both my cameras because the AF-light even makes them squint, not to mention the flash! And people run around with blind spots in their eyes for ages...

The only downside is the typically grainy image of HIE. I'm kinda of partial to the shots, there's definitely a unique concept at use here, but the "overflash" and the film's grainy (and sometimes flat) tendencies kind of steer me away.

ksmattfish, if you wanted to lose the grainy edge a bit, try deving in Microdol stock for 17 minutes, rated at 320. I've only tried this with a Red 29, what did you use (if any?)

sbalsama said:
I've only tried this with a Red 29, what did you use (if any?)

No filter on the lens, only a double layer of E-6 on the flash.

LaFoto said:
They cannot SEE the flash?
You can take party photos like this and they don't get blinded by your flash?

If you stare hard at the flash and concentrate you can see a hint of dark brownish red when the flash goes off. But even in a dark room it's hard to see.

Matt, even though I am still relatively new to this, you are making me want to try the whole IR thing. I don't know why, but I seem to love every IR shot I've seen, and not just here-in mags, on the web. It just does something to me. I keep telling myself that I need to get a little more time behind the lens before trying IR but I think it's an internal battle I am slowly losing.

P.S. great shots, forgot to start with that-sorry.

wow so it's a great thig... you can become a papparazzi :)

Most reactions

Back