IR IR IR

quad b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I know there's been quite a few posts about IR photography, but I still can't get it to work.

I want it to happen in camera and not using RAW Shooter or something like that.

My main question is, when I'm setting custom white balance, I set it to a patch of grass in the middle of the day. When I do this should I expose it correctly or under or over expose by a stop? Also do I have the filter on when I do this or not?

Thanks everyone

I tried to set the wb to green grass about 3652 times...and it was never right. I just use a neutral gray now. Works every time. Make sure the filter is off when you set it. Try and set the exposure as close to 'proper' as possible.

Hmm, I've had no problems setting my white balance to a patch off grass.

But yeah, you should correctly expose it.

The awesome IR pictures posted from time to time are enough to get many folks salivating. It also leads to the same questions being asked again and again.

So . . . is there anyone out there who's willing to put together a primer on IR photography? Kind of a simple 'cookbook' approach so that newbees to the technique can expect to achieve success?

If so, it can be posted on this site as a guide to anyone interested in the technique.

quad b said:
Ok, I know there's been quite a few posts about IR photography, but I still can't get it to work.

I want it to happen in camera and not using RAW Shooter or something like that.

My main question is, when I'm setting custom white balance, I set it to a patch of grass in the middle of the day. When I do this should I expose it correctly or under or over expose by a stop? Also do I have the filter on when I do this or not?

Thanks everyone

I see your using a D70.... its should give you a 'good' and 'bad' message when your attempting to set the wb... it can take several attempts for it to accept one... so just keep trying....
Yes you have the filter on when setting wb.....Its best to find a well lit patch of grass... you may need to expose for several seconds....(mine was about 6-7 secs in british light!).... but if it becomes cloudy, i wouldnt try and set it.... sunny grass is much better... ;)

so maybe that's why it hasn't been working for me. i've only tried without the filter. thanks for the tips

Any reason you don't want to do it in RAW? I've done a few shots and found the RAW WB to be soooooo easy. I'd imagine it's just as easy once you get the Custom WB but if that's where you're having problems might be worthwhile skipping that step.

I agree about someone posting the entire process. I'd LIKE to volunteer but I'm not that confident that I could explain it well. If you Google it though you should get an explanation.

BTW your AV is awesome. I've been chuckling to myself for a few minutes now. Reminds me of Fight Club.

When ever I try IR, I always get yellows once I set the WB and then the usual Post process work seems to go tit's up,
I fail at it :D

Thanks about the AV. I actually did get it from fight club. It's my favourtie movie and also an excellent book.

If I were shooting in RAW, i would just use some post shot manip and choose the wb i want from the photo. Is that correct?

Just an offside question. I just came from the film world where my 25A filter and Kodak HIE did beautiful work. Just wondering what filter you were using for digital? I assume a more agressive RB60 or something like that?

Garbz said:
Just an offside question. I just came from the film world where my 25A filter and Kodak HIE did beautiful work. Just wondering what filter you were using for digital? I assume a more agressive RB60 or something like that?

Most people use the Hoya R72 filter for IR... (at least that I know of) though I think you can use some other red filters.

Quad b said:
If I were shooting in RAW, i would just use some post shot manip and choose the wb i want from the photo. Is that correct?

Yeah if you shoot it RAW you'll load into your RAW conversion software (the pic will still be read and white at this point) and you can click on any leaves or anything that reflects the light and it'll change it to the typical IR appearance.

That's how I've always done IR and have never had a problem.

Another question...how many stops do i "lose" using an R72 filter?

Most reactions

Back