Is a blown out section ever acceptable or does it ever 'work'? C&C please

StringThing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I went out Saturday afternoon to try to take advantage of what I knew would be a great setting sun and some golden light. The light reflecting off the rails stood out right away and I wanted to capture it. The problem I was having is that the angle of the sun was always blowing out that area of the photo. In hindsight I'm wondering if a cir-pol filter might have helped. I also know I should have played with my e/v values, so what you see here is a cropped photo underexposed in PSE.

My question is: does a section of blown out photo ever work, or is it always a blatant no-no?
Oh and C&C on the photo itself. Thanks!

Nikon D3100 - RAW
Aperture Priority
f/16, 1/30, ISO 200, 18-55 VR lens, Tripod

Mer Blue Bog walkway by stringthing68, on Flickr

It's never a blatant 'no-no'. Often, reflections, specular highlights, and the sun will be overexposed. This is rarely a problem.

The only time it is a problem is when areas that you want to have detail are overexposed.

For your shot, I like it, and I don't think the Sun being a bit on the bright side is a problem.

There are basically two types of highlights in a photo: diffuse and specular/light-source. Specular highlights are, as Kerbouchard noted, things like reflections off chrome, glass etc. Street lights in a twilight shot would be an example of a light source highlight. It's expected for specular/light-source highlights to be blown, but hopefully they will be small, and flare will be controlled.

Diffuse highlights have texture and/or color. Clouds, white tee shirts, blue skies are diffuse highlights. Blowing a diffuse highlight is just wrong. Every rule in this world has exceptions of course, except that one.

Joe

Thanks very much for the comments and technical descriptions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back