Is a new camera worth buying for my situation?

mpotapa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and have been trying to decide if I should purchase a new camera. My wife and I had our first child a month ago and I would like to take a lot of pictures and videos. I currently have a Nikon coolpix L830. Will this camera suit my needs or will I be disappointed? I have already noticed if my baby is moving around the pictures come out blurry many times. I assume this is because it's too dark in my living room. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure what manual control if any your camera has. I do assume its a bridge camera with a small chip inside it. these are great for general stuff, but struggle in low light.If you can find a setting to increase ISO on this camera it may help. Is there a shutter priority mode, if so try setting it to 1/125 sec to freeze action.

There are loads of better options if it still is not good enough. Whether or not it's worth spending is up to you, but I do know that even people who are not into photography appreciate a nice photo and you'll enjoy clearer non blurred photos in ten years when you look back more than dull blurred ones.

There is a field of thought that its the photographer and not the camera, that is certainly true when it comes to creativity, but sometimes the gear does limit your results

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure what manual control if any your camera has. I do assume its a bridge camera with a small chip inside it. these are great for general stuff, but struggle in low light.If you can find a setting to increase ISO on this camera it may help. Is there a shutter priority mode, if so try setting it to 1/125 sec to freeze action.

There are loads of better options if it still is not good enough. Whether or not it's worth spending is up to you, but I do know that even people who are not into photography appreciate a nice photo and you'll enjoy clearer non blurred photos in ten years when you look back more than dull blurred ones.

There is a field of thought that its the photographer and not the camera, that is certainly true when it comes to creativity, but sometimes the gear does limit your results

That was exactly my thought. In ten years when I look back at these pictures will I be disappointed. I'm willing to spend 500-800 on a nice camera since I really want to be able to look back on these photos with my family and friends in the future.

Do you want a camera that the lens is fixed or swappable

Do you want a camera that the lens is fixed or swappable

I'm not sure to be honest. I'll be taking the camera on family trips, camping, Disney, the zoo, ect. I guess I wouldn't want anything too bulky to carry around.

Most Sony cameras have basic modes but extensive menus. This camera can be as simple or difficult as you need it to be. As a new user it would in my opinion be a breeze to start enjoying, but as you learn it would give more creative options

Most Sony cameras have basic modes but extensive menus. This camera can be as simple or difficult as you need it to be. As a new user it would in my opinion be a breeze to start enjoying, but as you learn it would give more creative options

And I'm sure it will take much better pictures in low light than my current camera. I appreciate your advice

In your situation, I'd totally recommend the Sony A6000 as well. Its a very nice camera.

Another vote for a Sony a6000 but add a fast prime lens for you lower light shots.

Another vote for a Sony a6000 but add a fast prime lens for you lower light shots.

And in case "fast prime" sounds like a foreign language, Goodguy means a lens with a constant focal length (i.e. 35mm or 50mm)with maximum aperture of f/1.8 (to allow the maximum amount of light into the sensor).

Here's a webpage that could help you decide which one to buy first.
The First Sony E-Mount Lenses You Should Buy

And in case "fast prime" sounds like a foreign language, Goodguy means a lens with a constant focal length (i.e. 35mm or 50mm)with maximum aperture of f/1.8 (to allow the maximum amount of light into the sensor).

Here's a webpage that could help you decide which one to buy first.
The First Sony E-Mount Lenses You Should Buy
Ah yeah, what he said LOL

A good family camera is the Panasonic FZ1000, a very fast and versatile bridge.
In the 4K photo mode, you make a 4K video and then each frame
can be extracted as an 8mp foto. This way you won't loose the right moment.
Rudi

A good family camera is the Panasonic FZ1000, a very fast and versatile bridge.
In the 4K photo mode, you make a 4K video and then each frame
can be extracted as an 8mp foto. This way you won't loose the right moment.
Rudi

Can this be done with the Sony a6000?

Most reactions

Back