What's new

Is IS a deal breaker?

I will also be getting the 70-200mm f2.8 L to compliment the 24-70, along with a 1.4x tube. Everyone seemed to concur in my action thread that that should cover pretty much all the bases. =) So high shutter speed negates the need for IS? That sounds perfect for my needs. I really do need the f2.8, I'll be indoors quite a bit, and indoor arena lighting is pretty cruddy. I wish they sold it with IS because it can't hurt, but it looks like I'll be fine.

Thanks again, everyone!
 
Not to beat a dead horse (pun fully intended), but people don't seem to want to understand that IS will not stop action. Only SS can stop action. IS counters camera shake, not subject motion. Your 7D has great high ISO performance, so dial it up to get the SS's you need, and don't worry about IS. Like Keith alluded to, it's a wonder anyone ever got good shots without IS. We live in an age of electronic marvels that unfortunately has lead people to believe they need all of these enhancements to be able to do anything at all. A while back there was a thread here or elsewhere, maybe dpreview, where someone was complaining about fast, short focal length primes not having IS. Huh??? Sorry about the mini-rant, but this this whole IS thing has grown into a pet peeve of mine. Buy the non IS version, use your ISO to you're advantage, and you'll have everything you need.
 
I knew that it wouldn't stop action... I understand that shutter speed does that. What I didn't realize is that with high shutter speed you don't have to worry about camera shake. In 'my world,' a lot can happen in 1/8000th of a second, so I just (falsely) assumed that the motion of the camera (or camera shake) would be noticeable at any shutter speed.

Rant accepted! Im sorry! =(
 
I knew that it wouldn't stop action... I understand that shutter speed does that. What I didn't realize is that with high shutter speed you don't have to worry about camera shake. In 'my world,' a lot can happen in 1/8000th of a second, so I just (falsely) assumed that the motion of the camera (or camera shake) would be noticeable at any shutter speed.

Rant accepted! Im sorry! =(

No need for apologies at all. It's me, not you. Just remember the rule of thumb for shutter speed: 1/focal length as a minimum SS and camera shake, unless it's extreme, won't be an issue. There are those who say you need to take your crop factor into account for this rule, and I say it can't hurt.
 
Last edited:
if there someone selling just email me. thank u!
 
I bought the 70 200 2.8 L none IS lens a year a go. I have had no issue and my hands shake badly. If you are going to be shooting in low light with out a flash and you can't at least shoot at 1/125 of a second then you may want the IS.
 
Okay. Thanks everyone for your replies. I wish I could carry a tripod around with me all the time... sadly with what I'd like to take pictures of, it is not an option. Horse shows, you need to be able to move and quickly because that particular horse won't be in the arena for more than a couple minutes. Setting and resetting up a tripod in grandstands won't work well. The pros have 2-3 people assisting them with multiple cameras so they don't have to move. Plus, despite the fact that this lens is heavy, it will be my do-all lens, meaning I will want to be able to carry it around and take general handheld photos with it.
......Monopod.....
 
Heading to the camera store now! I'll see if they have a monopod for a reasonable price. =)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom