"Is it a statue?"

inneist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
These days I set my eyes on statues. Last try before the snow went away.

1/2
sthlmwinter1.jpg

2/2
sthlmwinter2.jpg

Would like to see them closer up and w/o people in the shot, but thats just my opinion. I like the mono treatment, it always works best with statues. I think the exposure levels look nice, I dont see anything overexposed, so thats good.

I also wonder how many kids have been decapitated by that fence at the bottom of that steep hill. :confused: Doesnt seem like a safe place to sled. :confused:

this isn't exposed properlly, the snow should be white, i would say i thought it was sand otherwise.

. . . . longducdong, your right its not overexposed, but it is underexposed. unless its a photograph of the sky. but he told us its about the statues and snow.

having a solid white does not automatically make a photo bad, or overexposed. in real life there are solid whites, and that should be reflected in photographs.

also, had it been a longer exposure we might would have seen some textures in the statues.

Correct, it's about the statues and snow (time), and relation to the surrounding environment (space), not about the statues per se. At the scene I saw kids playing, then in the same picture you got the statues with that kind of shapes. Really I was after silhouettes, not the texture, because I viewed it from afar.

It was a gray day, how would a longer exposure be like, any input? And I rather think the sky is already a bit overexposed, suggestions, if any?

you would lose sky detail, but would bring out detail in the blacks, the snow would have more pop to it.

in fact, just a curves adjustment and highlights/shadows could help these out a bunch i think.

its just a little dull i think.

snow is white, but not white here . . . your exposure should reflect that.

is this okay to edit? i'll show you what i mean

and really, i think it would look nice with even more pop

Excellent. Looks like the tone of the shots is cheered up, too. Thanks a bunch.

Did you do partial selections on these? I have a related question, for I want a global adjustment instead. Say you have a snow picture to begin with, when you convert it to b/w, you decompose into RGB, which channel should be the ideal route in view of the white subject of the original picture?

Most reactions

Back