is it normal to have little peices of crap between the lens elements

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have 2 higher end nikkor lens one is a brand new 24-70mm 2.8 US model straight from B&H and if i put the lens at 50mm and shine it towards a little light with the both lens caps off looking through the lens like the camera would, and open the aperture ring all the way, i can see a few peices of black crap. i know this probably doesnt mater once its on the camera and focusing, but kinda bugs me for such a high dollar lens. i dont want to send it back as it works just fine and dont want nikon to make it worse.

If it is brand new? I'd be sending it back.
Stuff does get in there, but it shouldn't be there when it's brand new.

ERRR, just got this damn thing. kinda didnt want to nikon to opens it up. maybe B&H will send me a new one...

It's fairly normal for stuff to get inside a lens. It begins about one minute after the lens leaves the assembly line floor, and continues throughout the life of the lens. Unless of course, the lens is used inside of a clean room at some place like a silicon wafer plant. Take off a shoe and look at the bottom of it with a 10x magnifying glass. Or take a drinking glass out of the kitchen and drop the same 10x loupe on it. You want "a new one"? OMG...

I have used it 4 or 5 times. Also my 70-300 has none and i bought it used

Google Ken Rockwell + Flashlight Test.

You are being unrealistic.

Ok well the lens is perfect otherwise and zooms great, i hear some of the 24-70 have sticky zooms. I just dont want my images messed up. I did have one that had unknown spots in it but couldnt conferm the issue

Most reactions

Back