Is it possible to focus your photos through Gimp or PS?

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm working with an old compact, so it's very difficult to get a clear focus. I've downloaded gimp and honestly, being brand new to editing aside from contrast, I'm a bit overwhlemed. So I'm wondering if it's possible to make my photos look more focus in Gimp? If not, can I get someone I know who has photoshop to put them in focus?

An example of how my camera focuses

PB270566.jpg

Can the bee be edited to look sharper?

You cant focus and out of focus photo.....but you can add a high pass layer to it to bring out some detail and make it appear more in focus......but you wont get a super clear shot like your looking for like that

You can Sharpen an image But you cannot increase focus, You will just have a sharper out of focus image.

But sometimes a lens is just not sharp even though it is in focus and that you can help.

Not sure you can help that image but play with it and see

As others said, you can't really adjust focus in editing programs, but you can do some sharpening that can help. Here's a take on sharpening the bee, and I bumped up the color on the bee a little while I was in there:

BeeSharpen.jpg

OMG thankyou!! It looks soooo much better! Is this possible through gimp? If so, how? Any good tutorials?

No, you can't adjust focus in editing... at least not yet... some interesting new cameras just hit the market and I can't wait to see how good they get... anyways... nailing the focus during the shoot is key. If you're as good at sharpening as Buster obviously is you can fix some minor problems or some slightly out of focus subjects, bust many times sharpening in editing will degrade the image.

Not sure where is in GIMP, but look for "Unsharp mask" if you want Buckster effect.
By the way, compact cameras make good focus easier, because DoF is more than in dSLR.

Schwetty's recipe:
Before
PB270566.jpg

After
bee.jpg

PS... you did nail the focus. You just didnt have the right equipment.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it. Work with what you have for now. Intensely work on learning composition skills and theory. I'd rather see a soft, well composed image with subject matter that has impact, rather than a boring image that is technically well done.

I wouldn't worry about it. Work with what you have for now. Intensely work on learning composition skills and theory. I'd rather see a soft, well composed image with subject matter that has impact, rather than a boring image that is technically well done.

Very good advice.

OMG thankyou!! It looks soooo much better! Is this possible through gimp? If so, how? Any good tutorials?

Check out the podcasts at Meet The Gimp. How I would do it in Gimp:
1) Overall adjustments, curves, etc. (or not)
2) Duplicate layer. Unsharp mask to bring out some of the detail in the bee.
3) Add a opaque (black) mask to the layer. Your sharpening dissapears.
4) Erase the mask with a fuzzy eraser to selectively paint the sharpening onto the details of the bee.
5) Use the same technique to selectively paint some gaussian blur to clean up the noisy junk in your out of focus areas.

Read Pages 20 and 21 in the manual on "Macro" shooting and the "Self Timer". Your camera has two macro settings; macro and super macro, and can focus as close as about two inches. And get a tripod. Even a cheap table top model. And use the timer to release the shutter to eliminate camera shake.

Just in case you don't have the manual
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/FE-26_X-21_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf

Good Luck and good shooting!
Gary

My quick edit using Gimp and the method above. Took a minute or two. Usharp mask painted on the bee and gaussian painted onto the OOFA. I desaturated because I know nothing about color. A more powerful way to do it would be to create the sharpening mask using Gimp's very powerful edge finder. It's much better than Photoshop's version. That would really make the hair on the bee jump out.

PB270566.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back