Is it worth switching camera systems again for one little but sort of important thing?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For years I used the both the Fujifilm XT2 & XT4 cameras which had the ability flip the screen for vertical shooting at lower angles. The XT4 however had the ability to also flip out to the side to get all sorts of angles including facing front of the camera for vlogging which I liked and when I had that camera I made more videos because it was so much easier setting up.

Now that I switched to Nikon Z mirrorless system which I do like for the most part, the screen on my Z6II can only be pulled out for low horizontal shooting or above your head. I know it sounds silly but hear me out, once you had a screen where you can flip out and use all sort of funky angles without needing to your jeans covered in dirt or grass stains, man it's kinda nice haha. I'm not going to lie. Yes I know, film photographers didn't have this ability - I get it, I do. But if the technology exists to make it easier, why not? Anyways I digress.

I been wanting to get back into making YouTube videos again and not having the screen being able to flip to the side face toward me to see check framing and focus, its kinda hard shooting video blind. I know this can be remedied by getting an external monitor and mounting it on the hot shoe but for me, I just want to keep it simple, minimal and basic.

It's a tough decision to make because I have switched camera systems very often...and I've only had the Z6II system for a little over a year and here I am thinking about selling it. I've pretty much tried all camera systems except for Canon! Perhaps Canon will be better for me? Maybe I should give Sony a second try, but I really didn't like their cameras but I do like that their mount is smaller so the lenses are smaller but they just never felt good in the hand.

Does it make sense to switch my camera system just for that? Because I don't know if I really want to go through the painstaking process of listing all my stuff for sale AGAIN. Quite honestly, Nikon gear doesn't seem to hold value like Fujifilm does, heck most Fujifilm cameras sell used more than they cost new. So I know if I sold my Nikon Z kit, I would be losing a lot of money and that's kind of where I am stuck because I have really good equipment that far exceeds my skill but at the sametime, I don't do a lot of photography these days either but it's nice to have the ability to take high quality photos & videos too so it's like what do I do?

I know...I sound like a broken record. I am broken so it's to be expected coming from me 🙃

All of us harbor insecurities, regrets, and dark sides so don't feel guilty. It's called being human. Character is committing to yourself to work on being a little bit better each day. As far as a flippy screen goes, it depends on how much money you have in glass. I'd check the price of the new stuff you want to buy and how much you can get for your used gear. I like KEH.com, but there are other equally good buy, sell and trade companies. That will let your bank account have a say. With that said, I like the flippy screen on my Z9, but still enjoy using my D7200 with a fixed screen. I kind of enjoy getting down on the ground or finding something to stand on to get the shot. So, it's not that big a deal. More important factors to me are Image Quality, sensor size, AF system, low light performance, available glass and ergonomics, but that's just me.

Stick with the Z6II - It's an amazing camera. You can get past it. Check your reflection in the lens!

I like KEH.com, but there are other equally good buy, sell and trade companies.
I will second KEH as my favorite, but there are indeed alternatives for buying used gear. If you are uncertain of the reliability of any site ask here to find out what experience we have with it.

Speaking as one who went to the RP, the flipout and multi angle screen is something I have been used to sense 2016.

For me its highly useful, especially when I use adapted lens from diff. manufacturers.

IMO, yes.
but thats me.

Speaking as one who went to the RP, the flipout and multi angle screen is something I have been used to sense 2016.

For me its highly useful, especially when I use adapted lens from diff. manufacturers.

IMO, yes.
but thats me.
I haven't decided yet if that's what I really want. I don't have much experience with Canon besides buying a Canon M50 for cheap on Amazon when it was sale but didn't really care for it much. I've either shot Nikon or Fujifilm. But I've always been curious about Canon but I am not sure its worth the effort switching. Some people say they prefer how Canon raw files edit over Nikon's but then again it's all personal so I don't really know.

So one thing to keep in mind.
its YOUR call and yours alone.

I prefer larger framed cameras because of my galumphing sasquatch hands. The RP is smaller than say a 1Ds or such, and is partially limited because Canon got this idea that RP was for "regular people"...
(Whatever that means).

But playing with Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Blad, Mamiya/PO, Minolta etc, my personal preference for the mirrorless is the Canon simply due to the rendition aspect.

I purchased a used D3 and have a 80-400 attached to it at times and love the feel.

But for portability and ease, I'm still falling to the RP.
But that's MY aspect.

I still advice finding some models and test driving them.

So one thing to keep in mind.
its YOUR call and yours alone.

I prefer larger framed cameras because of my galumphing sasquatch hands. The RP is smaller than say a 1Ds or such, and is partially limited because Canon got this idea that RP was for "regular people"...
(Whatever that means).

But playing with Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Blad, Mamiya/PO, Minolta etc, my personal preference for the mirrorless is the Canon simply due to the rendition aspect.

I purchased a used D3 and have a 80-400 attached to it at times and love the feel.

But for portability and ease, I'm still falling to the RP.
But that's MY aspect.

I still advice finding some models and test driving them.

What I really want to see is a collection of raw files from both Nikon Z cameras and equivalent Canon cameras with similar lenses of the same subjects that way I can edit them and see how they compare. When I had Fujifilm I felt like it was easier to get photo the way I liked but I didn't like the image quality. It was ok for the filmic shots.

What about a used Fuji with the flip screen you liked? I've done well with KEH and Adorama.

Now that you tried something else, you know what didn't work for you and what did. Nothing wrong with having more than one brand either I don't think. I have rangefinder film cameras that use the same Leica mount as my Ricoh digital camera. And...

I have many cameras... many. SLRs, rangefinders, vintage, antique, box cameras, Polaroids. I think my digital camera is maybe about the only thing I bought new since my first SLR.

It can be handy to have lenses that work with more than one body, but I also like other brands & lens mounts. I buy used a lot.

Hi Nick! I've followed your work for more than 10 years, and I've seen you switch systems more times than I can count. And the one thing that has remained consistent is that your photography has always been top notch. From my observation, changing gear seems to be more about finding inspiration to keep shooting rather than overcoming obstacles, which still serves an important purpose. I just wanted to put it out there that your photography has always been quality, regardless of the system you've used.

And for what it's worth, I've been shooting with a Z 6II since it was released, and don't really find much lacking with it. I also found it frustrating that the tilt screen is limited to 45 degrees, but I've just worked around it. From what I've seen, Canon mirrorless shooters seem to just have different minor complaints, but the image quality is very similar.

Do what makes you happy, but just know your work already speaks for itself!

"Jack of all trades is a master of none."
A stills camera that isn't optimal for video, or a video camera that isn't optimal for stills, or a camera that isn't optimal for both.
Rather than switch systems, and lose money again, think about getting a 2nd system primarily for video. It is more gear, but you may find that what you want for still and video are very different.
Or just use the external monitor.

MY experience has been that the swing out articulating screen is PITA to use.
1 - I have to remove the vertical part of my L-bracket, to swing the screen out, and now I can't use the L-bracket in vertical mode. I would rather have the tilting screen, where I can use the L-bracket as designed.
2 - I have to swing the articulating screen out then tilt the screen. Much easier to just tilt the screen.
3 - The articulating screen that is sticking out the side of the camera is easier to damage, than the tilt screen.
But that is just how I use the camera.

BTW, Canon has shut off 3rd-party autofocus lenses from the R system cameras. So it is Canon lenses only.
However you can use the EF lenses via an EF to R adapter.

Edit: I understand that Canon will now "approve 3rd party lenses, on a case by case basis."
I do not know the details, but you can read different things into that phrase.
For those of us who are budget constrained, I read it as:

To preserve their revenue, Canon will not approve lenses that directly compete with their lenses. Especially the high margin pro lenses.
IOW, you won't see a Sigma or Tamron 70-200/2.8, because it will be cheaper than the Canon lens, and take away sales from Canon.

Canon would probably approve the lenses that they have historically neglected in the dSLR line.
Like APS-C specific lenses.

Last edited:
I've been a long time Nikon shooter but, if I were to be getting into it now, I'd go Canon. I may switch anyway.

I've been a long time Nikon shooter but, if I were to be getting into it now, I'd go Canon. I may switch anyway.

Why's that? What would be your reasoning?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back