Is it wrong......

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
to add fake catch lights to a subject, provided it isn't too conspicuous?

For example, you have a group shot, everyone in the pictuire has catchlights in both eyes from whatever light source you are using, but one is turned just a degree too far away from the light. Their right eye has a catchlight, but the left eye doesn't. Adding this catchlight would not be noticable to anyone who didn't spend a long time scrutinizing the photo or pixel peeping.

Would it be a photoshop or photography morality no-no to add that last catchlight in post?

Discuss.

Assuming you can do it well, no, it's not wrong.

I would say it's similar to removing exit signs, light switches, etc. Sure, they used to be there, but they looked like crap and were removed. It's not wrong. It's basic editing.

Assuming you can do it well, no, it's not wrong.

I would say it's similar to removing exit signs, light switches, etc. Sure, they used to be there, but they looked like crap and were removed. It's not wrong. It's basic editing.

I don't think this is basic EDITING...I think it might be basic ALTERING. But once again, it doesn't change any of the original intent of the photo, so I don't see a morality issue with it.

The only time it's wrong, in my opinion, to alter a photograph, is if you're altering an editorial photo or a documentary type photo and try and pass it off as truth.

I've had to do it before. I wouldn't say it's wrong to 'fix' the photo to your liking, but I feel much better when I get it right in the camera instead.

I do it all the time on close up photos. I also remove big red veins in the eyes, yellow and pink from eyes. I don't do it on every photo for sure, but if it's a close up, and a photo I'm pretty sure will be important, I'll work the eyes pretty good. To illustrate, here is a photo I was just working on:

As shot:
jen-10before.jpg

With reworking (obviously a bit more than just the eyes, but my style is built around mid to major retouching):
jen-10after.jpg

Last edited:
As mentioned above, I think as long as you're not trying to pass it off as photojournalism then you're fine. If it's a piece of art, every descision is yours. If it's reporting then you have other responsibilities.

If noone would notice the fake catchlight, it's unlikely any one would notice its absence.

If noone would notice the fake catchlight, it's unlikely any one would notice its absence.

No, they probably wouldn't notice every minute detail of a photo. But it's obviously better WITH proper lighting even if it's manufactured after the fact. People don't notice tiny details, but they aren't so stupid they can't figure out, "OK" from "Good".

And this is not being referred to you, so please don't take this personally. (I have never seen your work, it could be super fantastic). I think that NOT helping out a photo when you can, is just lazy editing, and is part of the reason that we are dumbing down our clients. When I say dumbing down, I think that potential clients see so much half ass photography (and editing) that they just figure it's the norm. Don't get me wrong. While this is good for the average photog in terms of workload, this is a bonus to my personal business for people who are looking for finishing details.

ALright, Kind of what I figured. Thanks for the input folks.........

Although I wouldn't have minded a pissing match in this thread...... That would have been fun. :lol:

ALright, Kind of what I figured. Thanks for the input folks.........

Although I wouldn't have minded a pissing match in this thread...... That would have been fun. :lol:

Well then in that case, you should have reworded your OP to - "I think people who can manipulate a picture via post processing are more skilled than people who get the shot they want Straight OOC. Your thoughts?"

lol that would do it.

People that don't use photoshop are nubs. The only reason they're so adamant about manipulated photos being called art and photography is because they barely have the skills to turn on a computer, let alone open a master crafting piece of software like photoshop.

I rarely add catchlights, but I'll sometimes close out some of them, so that there is only one per eye.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back