is my camera messed up?

rabidzoomer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Vivitar V4000 which i bought a whie ago and i just entered photography class... I haven't actually really used it and now that i know how to work a SLR camera i think the lighting is off. Well i was trying to take a few B&W shots today while i was in the car while stopped. I was looking out through the windshield and my meter was off i think. It has a +, circle in the middle, and - at the bottom and it only showed the minus until i had the camera at 3.5 on the shutter and a extremely low 4 on my shutter speed. This camera is supposed to shoot at least 250 outside and 60 indoors.
It isn't that dark outside even though it is winter but i think this is extremely weird and i need this to work because i have some upcoming assignments that i havve to develop my own film and i dont want to mess it up my first time.

What kind of lens?
Maybe not enough light entering the car.
Try standing outside and see what the meter does.
Is the ISO set proparly?
Just a few considerations

You can check your camera's meter by waiting for a sunny day. Set the ISO at 100 or 125. Set the shutter speed at 1/100 or 1/125th. Set the lens opening at f16. Point the camera at an average sunlit scene. The indicator should be centered, or you should be able to center it by changing the shutter speed one position faster or slower.

If you cannot do this, you have a problem. It could be something as simple as old batteries or poor battery contact.

Most reactions

Back