Is the D600 focusing system as sensitive as the one on the D7000 ?

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The D600 was for a while my dream camera and I thought when the time will come I will sell my D7000 and get it but now I have a bit of a worry.

My D7000 has like many other D7000 some AF issues.
It was sent to Nikon for service and that helped a lot but still wasn't perfect, only few days ago I fine tuned all my lenses to the D7000 and I think problem is solved (still need to take more shots to be sure but so far it all looks ok).

I know the D600 has the same 39 AF system as the D7000 and I am wondering if this sensitive system is also acting up on the D600.

I went to Nikon Canadian site and in the product reviews most complaints in regards to the D7000 are about the same focus issues I had, when checking the D600 on this site I didn't see a single complaint about the focusing issues, the most common complaint there is about the dust and oil spots on the sensor.

While the D600 and D7000 are probably built on the same system the D600 has been tweaked a bit. One difference is that the D600 AF system is sensitive down to f/8... the D7000 cant do that (The D7100 can).

I haven't heard one complaint about the AF system in the D600.

Funny how the D7000 AF complaints seemed to dissipate about a year after the roll-out. Why? Factory fix or user error? Thom Hogan suspected the latter. The D600 has issues with oily/cruddy sensors the D7000/7100 didn't.

My D600 had oil spots at first but after a cleaning it went away. As far as AF I haven't had any problems other than the tight focus point spacing.

Funny how the D7000 AF complaints seemed to dissipate about a year after the roll-out. Why? Factory fix or user error? Thom Hogan suspected the latter. The D600 has issues with oily/cruddy sensors the D7000/7100 didn't.

Bought my D7K early December 2012 and all the time soft pictures plagued my camera.
After long research taking the wonderful advises of the people here plus my own research with countless tests at home I saw the problem was not the used, it was the camera.
Sending it to Nikon helped a lot but still not to the level of expectation from such a good camera, still had back focusing issues.
When I fine tuned all my lenses I couldnt believe how effective it was and how well the pictures are now.
I am glad I have Fine Tune option but I am asking why do I need that ?
Why the camera cant come out of the factory perfect ?
Why so many people face same problem and from Nikon.ca site it seams like this issue is not limited to the first year of production.

Overall amazing camera but the AF issues are really annoying, hopfully they are resolved for me but this shouldnt be happening at the first place.

I am glad to hear the D600 doesnt share same AF issue as does the D7000.
The oil and dust issues are another thing all together.

............Why the camera cant come out of the factory perfect ?............

Three reasons.

1. Manufacturing tolerances.
2. Mass production.
3. Consumer demand for lower prices.

Manufacturing tolerances are required because it's simply impossible to make every part perfectly identical to all the other parts. Mass production because it's impossible to make cameras for the consumer market by hand. Consumer demand for lower prices means the makers will do whatever they can to lower their costs. If they can get you to do part of the work for them (adjust for back-focus issues), that's an expense they no longer have to bear.

The D7100 has a different, and overall more capable AF module, the 51 focus point Advanced Multi-CAM 3500 AF module.
The D600 and D7000 have the Multi-CAM 4800 AF module.
The FX D600 has a larger main mirror than the DX D7000, so more light can get to the D600's AF module.
Only 7 of the 39 D600 focus points are f/8 capable:
Nikon | Imaging Products | High basic performance - Nikon D600
the seven focus points (five central focus points and one point to the left and right of them in the middle line) are compatible with f/8.

Most reactions

Back