Is the new Rebel XSi really as good as it sounds?

jg123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was reading the review over here and the number of premium added features seems amazing, especially for an amateur. Can someone with experience please tell me what, if any of the new features really stand-out and is this camera a good value?

-boasts an improved autofocus sensor,
- features a newly developed, extremely low noise APS-C size 12.2 megapixel CMOS sensor.
- a large 3.0-inch LCD monitor with an advanced Live View function.
- enhanced 14-bit A/D conversion
- Entirely new 12.4 million pixel CMOS sensor
- Larger 0.87x viewfinder coverage
- of continuously capturing 3.5 frames per second for bursts of up to 53 images in large/fine JPEG mode
- incorporates the optional Highlight Tone Priority and High-ISO Noise Reduction functions
- equipped with Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer technology, which corrects image brightness and contrast automatically
- a spot meter, which reads a tiny area (about 4%) of the picture for extremely precise metering.
- New Continuous Shooting Self Timer Mode

and a few others.

thanks

The only thing from that list that's even the least bit interesting to me is the:

equipped with Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer technology, which corrects image brightness and contrast automatically

The rest is marketing fluff. That sounds like Auto Contrast to me if it does it live and incorporates it into its JPEG outputs. Nikons have done this for years, and it ensures that you get a nice good JPEG straight off the camera and prevents you from having to waste your time with RAW correcting contrast issues manually. Your eyes can't always see contrast issues, and it's a pain to adjust anyways, so it makes sense for a calibrated electronic eye on the camera to do it for you and adjust it automatically.

So that would honestly be a huge thing for me.

I was intrigued by the larger viewfinder and larger LCD because those two things constantly bother me about my XT currently. But other than that its just eh.

For the same price on BH, they still sell the 30d. I didnt get a chance to play with the Xsi at all, but I did get to play with a Xti, and assuming they are relatively close, it was a easy choice for me to go with the 30d.

As far as i know Rebel Xsi is slightly better than Xti ;

Rebel Xsi have
  • 12 Megapixels (Xti is 10Mpx)
  • Live View LCD
  • Kit comes with Image Stabilized Lens (f 3.5-5.6 EF-S 18-55mm)
  • ISO : 100 - 1600 , It also has a function that camera can automatically decide which ISO to use between ISO 100 and ISO 400 values.
  • It has bigger LCD Screen than 400 D (Rebel XTi) (3 inches)
  • Uses SD cards for storage
Dust control, live view and image stabilized lens attracts me to buy this camera...

It should, however, be noted that while the XSi boasts a larger LCD screen than the Xti (3" vs 2.5"), the resolution remains the same. Consequently, this means that the LCD screen on the XSi is actually of lower pixels per inch.

As far as i know Rebel Xsi is slightly better than Xti ;

Rebel Xsi have
  • 12 Megapixels (Xti is 10Mpx)
  • Live View LCD
  • Kit comes with Image Stabilized Lens (f 3.5-5.6 EF-S 18-55mm)
  • ISO : 100 - 1600 , It also has a function that camera can automatically decide which ISO to use between ISO 100 and ISO 400 values.
  • It has bigger LCD Screen than 400 D (Rebel XTi) (3 inches)
  • Uses SD cards for storage
Dust control, live view and image stabilized lens attracts me to buy this camera...

Thats because the XSi is the model after XTi which is after XT
350D then 400D then 450D. So ya, it should be slightly better

12 Megapixels (Xti is 10Mpx)
Really, that's not too big of a difference.

Live View LCD
While nice at times, most can live without it.

Kit comes with Image Stabilized Lens (f 3.5-5.6 EF-S 18-55mm)
I'm sure that adds to the cost. Though it is a good point.

ISO : 100 - 1600 , It also has a function that camera can automatically decide which ISO to use between ISO 100 and ISO 400 values.
The XTi has the same range and I didn't realize choosing an ISO was a difficult thing to do...

It has bigger LCD Screen than 400 D (Rebel XTi) (3 inches)
A whole half-inch?! Incredible!
Uses SD cards for storage
This could be attractive if you're coming off of a point and shoot (as many use them).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for about $200 less, you're not really losing out with an XTi. I'm not quite sold on the new feature set.

I am surprised though, that no one's made a bigger deal of spot-metering. That's the one thing I wish my XTi did have. Like I said earlier though, it's not worth $200...

I personally say go with an XTi, I often like new models but this time I wouldnt go for the XSi, go to the XTi. I am happy with my XTi. Infact very happy. :) 12 MP isnt much more than 10MP. Barely noticable if any at all.

Live View LCD? I can easily go without that, I like using view finder because there are no glares off the screen and i have a black square with my view inside of it, can see everything easier.

The kit lens, yes its an IS but really its not that great of a lens. The kit lenses never are, its just so u can get something out of the box. I think of it as something for point and shoot people since they always want it to work 100% right out of the box.

I say buy the body and invest into a decent lens. You will be much happier...

TRUST ME!

I was reading the review over here and the number of premium added features seems amazing, especially for an amateur. Can someone with experience please tell me what, if any of the new features really stand-out and is this camera a good value?

-boasts an improved autofocus sensor,
- features a newly developed, extremely low noise APS-C size 12.2 megapixel CMOS sensor.
- a large 3.0-inch LCD monitor with an advanced Live View function.
- enhanced 14-bit A/D conversion
- Entirely new 12.4 million pixel CMOS sensor
- Larger 0.87x viewfinder coverage
- of continuously capturing 3.5 frames per second for bursts of up to 53 images in large/fine JPEG mode
- incorporates the optional Highlight Tone Priority and High-ISO Noise Reduction functions
- equipped with Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer technology, which corrects image brightness and contrast automatically
- a spot meter, which reads a tiny area (about 4%) of the picture for extremely precise metering.
- New Continuous Shooting Self Timer Mode

and a few others.

thanks

The only thing from that list that's even the least bit interesting to me is the:

equipped with Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer technology, which corrects image brightness and contrast automatically

The rest is marketing fluff. That sounds like Auto Contrast to me if it does it live and incorporates it into its JPEG outputs. Nikons have done this for years, and it ensures that you get a nice good JPEG straight off the camera and prevents you from having to waste your time with RAW correcting contrast issues manually. Your eyes can't always see contrast issues, and it's a pain to adjust anyways, so it makes sense for a calibrated electronic eye on the camera to do it for you and adjust it automatically.

So that would honestly be a huge thing for me.

Better AF, lower noise, better tone from 14bit vs. 12 bit, a bigger view finder, and spot meter when none of the other rebels have it is all marketing fluff? :meh:

Looking back now I wish I waited for the XSI. Its got some pretty nice upgrades. 3.0 to 3.4 fps, the view finder on the XTI is .80 and the XSI is .87

well, there is hardly any difference between 3.0 and 3.4 fps ... you will hardly feel it.

.8 and .87 is some difference, I agree, but again nothing which really moves the world.

If you look at some of the comparison links though it looks like a decent upgraded version.

1600 ISO comparison is decent one to check out.

The noise looks substantially different. Comperable to its big brothers.

Better AF, lower noise, better tone from 14bit vs. 12 bit, a bigger view finder, and spot meter when none of the other rebels have it is all marketing fluff? :meh:
Sometimes more is not always more. I call it spec creep. Little things they can do for next to nothing that will do a lot more for propping up sales than they ever will for truly making better photos.

More accurate AF can also mean it takes longer to think. Lower noise can also mean less detail from more NR trickery. I think you'd be hard pressed to see the difference between 14-bit and 12-bit RAW, and now you have a larger file to deal with. My D80 has a much larger viewfinder than my D40 does (0.80x vs 0.94x) and I never notice. So I doubt I'd notice the 0.80x to 0.87x difference between the XTi and XSi. They're all tiny and dim compared to what you used to get on film cameras. And I never use spot metering. :greenpbl:

Save your money and get a nicer lens instead is what I'd say. Zillions of features on camera bodies don't do much for me, but I like NICE glass. :) Speaking of which, I'd be far more interested in the 18-55 IS lens than any new feature on the camera. I like walking around cities I'm visiting at night or in the early AM catching the good light. I currently use a pro 17-55 f/2.8 which is big and heavy. I've been meaning to order a Nikon 18-55 VR. If that can make up for its lack of speed with the VR and gives me results that are as good, I can save myself the trouble of carrying my heavier lenses around with me.

I still don't see how not being able to notice differences dismisses the advantages to the differences.

I'm not trying to call you out MAV but your constant argument of not being able to notice it is a bit cheesy.

Would you tell the customer that I could have used the best way but I figured you wouldn't notice so I did it this way?

The differences are stated in factual manner. Whether the camera comes with a guy that edits your photos to get rid of noise or the camera does it the fact is thre's less noise, better AF, and better tone.

I could use fire to heat my cave but I like bundling in wooly mamoth fur.

I could use the wheel but I'd rather get 4 of my friends to drag it along.

Final result is the final result...get there the easiest

Most reactions

New Topics

Back