Is thePhotoForum an apropriate place to trade my products for product photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thenewslink.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been thinking about this for a while. I sell items online and I have a steady and everchanging flow of new products I am trying out. I have a need for quality photographs. I thought it might be fun for the group to receive some products and in return give me some photos to use in online ads. The members would receive some photo challenges and a product to do with as they please; and I would receive some photos to use online. It seemed like a win-win to me. Not sure which forum this would belong in. Is this idea appropriate to the PhotoForum?

I reread the Terms but do not see anything baring this sort of activity. Does each forum have its own set of rules? Please feel free to forward this query to an admin if you think it is a good idea - or not.

Thanks for reading.

I think it is a neat idea.

Those who are qualified to produce a professional image have earned the ability to be fairly compensated, so I guess it would depend on the value they would place on the product as compensation.

Others, like me, would enjoy the challenge, but, in this instance, I might consider it competing with a pro for the work that feeds their families. So I would decline participation.

... but, in this instance, I might consider it competing with a pro for the work that feeds their families. So I would decline participation.
Hmmm... Hadn't thought about it from that perspective.

Maybe hear from some pros on the forum to see what they think?

I stay out of the way of professionals doing their work. E.g.: Weddings and the like. If I want to take photos and there's a pro working, I'll ask if it's ok to use the composition they set up after they're done with it. (If I liked it.) Sometimes they've been cool with it, sometimes not so much.

*cough* I actually once had a couple prefer some of my photos over the ones they paid for, and ask for a set of prints they could keep :345:

I think it is a neat idea.

Those who are qualified to produce a professional image have earned the ability to be fairly compensated, so I guess it would depend on the value they would place on the product as compensation.

Others, like me, would enjoy the challenge, but, in this instance, I might consider it competing with a pro for the work that feeds their families. So I would decline participation.

Agreed. I try not to take work away from the pros unless it’s an area where I’m trying to competing with them.

Product photography isn’t my thing. Sure I could make a great photo, but I won’t take work away from those who feed their family doing so.

This seems like compensation is actually being offered for taking photos. I feel too like photographers should be paid for their work, ability, time, etc. and I don't like when that gets undermined and often underpriced by amateurs with cameras. But this seems more similar to TFP (trade).
(In my experience in local hockey for example, off ice officials were 'paid' in free tickets, which was great for anybody who wanted to go to the games, not have to buy tickets, and was willing to work at the scorers' table.)

I would think there would need to be contracts specifying usage (how long, for what purpose, etc.) for photos provided and compensation received. And of course as you're doing, find out from the mods if this would be allowed. May be workable, just not sure if it is on this site. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you're trading / bartering the value of the image files in exchange for possession of the item itself, does that not make you a professional? :048:

OP: You will need to contact 4Nines here at TPF in order to establish yourself as a regular vendor here. Your post has been reported but you should also reach out personally and be prepared to become a paying vendor here in order to do this kind of business with members.

Until or unless that happens, I am closing the thread for now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back