Is there a "decent" film scanner for under $300?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to just look in the future here...see where I could be heading. With film, there's apparently nowhere good anywhere close that can do 16x20 enlargements. I see film scanners from $99 to $2,000 that claim to scan at high resolutions. Are there any in the $300 range or less that will do a good enough job with B&W to let me ship off the images to be printed elsewhere?

Totally new at this.

I use the Epson V500 myself which is $180 at Adorama and scans up to medium format negatives at 48bit and 6400 DPI. Doing a very good job at it also and i'm very happy with it. The larger versions only provides different software and capabilities to scan more negatives and sheet film (i think).

I answered a post somewhere where I listed like 6 good scanners suitable for MF, LF, and 35mm film. It was within the past month if you wanna do the advanced search thing. They were all under $300 as I recall.

Bifurcator, thanks for the link. It pointed me in the right direction.

Looks like the newest version of the favorite is the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-CanoScan-Negative-Scanner-2168B002/dp/B000V2QCQI"]Canon 8800F[/ame]. Does anybody have experience with these? The reviews are GREAT. I would only like to know if it will be alright for scanning B&Ws for later decent quality 16x20 prints.

Opinions?

I bought a plustek opticfilm 7200, only $160 on newegg... excellent little scanner for the $$. However I hated the software that it came with, I use vuescan instead.

Of course this kind of scanner is a pain to scan a lot of photos with, and can't scan medium or large format film.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back