Is there a reason to upgrade dslr?

The subject is less and less isolated the farther i move from it.

Yes, but that's not what I was hoping you'd see. Do the actual photography and post it. Preferably your background should some lights in it. What you will see that as your focus location changes, the size (and maybe even the shape) of the out-of-focus areas change as well.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but that doesn't work on things that are three dimensional. This is as out of focus i can get my background.

You didn't do anything wrong. You have a pretty wide field of view behind a small subject. You're not going to get much more bokeh than that. If you want to get more, get a 70-200, zoom out to 200 and frame the subject to almost fill the frame. Your blur is fine, if you crop that image tight to the subject you'll see what you're looking for.

I took you up on your advise and got the 70-200 vrii, it should arrive pretty soon. I have a lot of questions about this lens. Like how far can you close your aperture until the background becomes visible when filling the target with the frame? I've never shot beyond 55mm, this should be an interesting few months to come with this new lens. and i will of course find a way to incorporate it into my hamtography sessions.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but that doesn't work on things that are three dimensional. This is as out of focus i can get my background.

You didn't do anything wrong. You have a pretty wide field of view behind a small subject. You're not going to get much more bokeh than that. If you want to get more, get a 70-200, zoom out to 200 and frame the subject to almost fill the frame. Your blur is fine, if you crop that image tight to the subject you'll see what you're looking for.

I took you up on your advise and got the 70-200 vrii, it should arrive pretty soon. I have a lot of questions about this lens. Like how far can you close your aperture until the background becomes visible when filling the target with the frame. I've never shot beyond 55mm, this should be an interesting few months to come with this new lens.

You're going to love that lens.

I took you up on your advise and got the 70-200 vrii, it should arrive pretty soon. I have a lot of questions about this lens. Like how far can you close your aperture until the background becomes visible when filling the target with the frame? I've never shot beyond 55mm, this should be an interesting few months to come with this new lens. and i will of course find a way to incorporate it into my hamtography sessions.

....there goes the neighborhood. :) ...just kidding,Hammy.I only have the lowly Sigma version,but I enjoy it.I'm sure you'll love yours,also!

I took you up on your advise and got the 70-200 vrii, it should arrive pretty soon.
Congratz on the new lens. This lens will open your eyes quite a bit. I have the VR1 version.

I have a lot of questions about this lens. Like how far can you close your aperture until the background becomes visible when filling the target with the frame? I've never shot beyond 55mm, this should be an interesting few months to come with this new lens. and i will of course find a way to incorporate it into my hamtography sessions.
This is where you want to set up a regimented course of test shots to see for yourself with your own lens and camera combination. A pencil and notebook are worth having on hand. Setup a single subject at a specified distance from the plane of the sensor (I usually start at the minimum focusing distance) and start at a focal length of 70mm. Set your shooting mode to Manual so that all matters are constant until you decidedly make a change in ONE setting. Run through the aperture settings from f/2.8 to f/22 (I suggest full stop changes because the 1/3 & 2/3 differences will not matter all that much and it's much less time and trouble). Do this until you have reached 200mm. Now at this point before going to your next focal length, I suggest to take a blank shot and note the change in your notebook. I will place my hand directly in front of the lens and snap. Move to 90mm or whatever you find you think you will need to use for the comparisons. Guess what, you're not done. Move your subject one, two, three meters or whatever distance you decide. Rinse and repeat. Continue moving the subject further away. Rinse and repeat.

I am thoroughly jealous. I don't see many situations in which I'd be willing to lug the thing around for recreational shooting, but nevertheless... such a crazy lens.

With a telephoto lens such as the 70-200, you'll get bokeh quite easily at 70mm and above. You could shoot at f4.5 at 70mm and still get some decent background separation.

The 70-200 vrii arrived today finally.

Here is an example i shot hand-held at iso 6.4k, 200mm, aperture 3.2.

tAEglAI.jpg

Last edited:
Why would you shoot at ISO 64000 with a VR lens? What shutter speed were you trying to get?

Is there a point to ever put down my d3200 and buy one of the higher model dslr's? I don't really see it myself.
If you have to ask, then definitely no.

You need to upgrade when something about your camera really hinders your making photographs. Higher models have more direct control, so if you shoot more often, you can work faster with them. OTOH the learning curve is steeper - if you dont use them that often, the direct controls wont help you, since you cant operate them.

Here is an example i shot hand-held at iso 64k, 200mm, aperture 3.2.
Just an FYI since I've seen you post something similar to this numerous times:

Your ISO was NOT "64k" it was 6400. "k" denotes "Kilo" or a 1000 multiplier. Using the reference "64k" denotes 64000 not 6400.

That is correct. But boy is this a heavy lens. Looking through my lens at 200mm, i can tell that my arms aren't that stable as i thought, i'm moving all over the place.

Last edited:
That is correct. But boy is this a heavy lens. Looking through my lens at 200mm, i can tell that my arms aren't that stable as i thought, i'm moving all over the place.

Hamlet
Part of the problem (and another factor for your upgrade question) is that you have a heavy lens on a light body which is unbalanced. A heavier body will balance better and allow smoother movement, sort of like how a longer barreled shotgun swings smoother than a short barrel. I had the same problem with my Sigma 70 - 200 on my D40X, too front heavy. When I switched to the D300, it balanced much better and was easier to control even though the whole outfit was heavier. As for reasons to upgrade the body, only you can make that call. If you don't feel your stuff is holding you back, you won't notice much change. I went from the D40X to D300 because I was shooting sports and quickly found the limitations of the D40x, mediocre focusing, low light performance and other limits I didn't realize till I upgraded. I was happy with the D300 for years. This year I upgraded to the D800 for no good reason other than I wanted to. Like Derrel said, you don't know what the higher end cameras bring to the party. I feel the D800 jump in IQ over the D300 is almost as great as the jump from D40x to D300. I didn't realize how much better until I got it. To me, the main factor for upgrading is whether your present equipment is holding you back, but there could also be other reasons you're not aware of yet. Hope this helps.

To be frank the only issue i have with my camera (as you said) is definitely the weight, its too light and it won't stabilize. Right now the only complaint i have is that focus my focus isn't always consistent, i autofocus dead-on my target and it focuses either on something in the back or front of my target. But that could easily be subscribed to my lack of skill, but i don't have the need to upgrade right now. Perhaps i'll MacGyver a little seat on my camera body for poof to balance it all out.
yA1YyxO.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back