Is there any universal and compact photo/video cam out there?

Maximuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there 'cyclopes'! ;)
I've digged up the almighty web in search of the device that fits me needs and... well... no luck so far.
So... maybe you could help me?

Here's the deal: Next spring I'm going to pack my stuff into a medium sized van and travel the world, looking for wild adventures, getting into troubles, playing music on the street for a living and doing some small documentaries/vlogs with some cinematography effects. And I need 1... just 1 device for that! (no space for bigger equipment than a drone, small gimball and a cam).
I'm "nearly intermediate";p when it comes to the phtotography, filming, and editing, but I'm a hella creative guy! I feel like the equipment should not limit me, but in the same time, I do not want to spend much - like 700-800$ is fine, as I've always valued creativity over the gear (using smartphone a lot with good results), and recent smartphones actually offers the quality that, in some cases, is sufficient for me...
... BUT WITHOUT A DECENT DEPTH OF FIELD! And that is something I cannot give up on!

So, what I'm looking for is a pocket device (size like this https://cdn3.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/05/sony-camera-730x386.jpg ), that has it all:

1. Ability to control the depth of field... (that actually disqualifies every smartphone, as they can only blur the background when you shoot macros) ...would be great if it was doable in real-time when recording.

2. Has a decent stabilization - I'm going to use it as a helmet mounted action cam for skiing or bike-downhills.

3. Be able to shoot both: decent quality videos and photos, also without a proper light/in a nighttime (the quality of i.e. Sony X3000 action cam is sufficient for me - sadly, it has fixed DOF ;( ).

4. Offers a long time exposure - like 20 -30 sec - for some astrography time-lapses or light-painting

5. At least 120fps in 1080p, so I can do some effective slo-mos.

And again - I'm not looking for a hollywood quality... Look, you can agree with me, that there's a level of quality which you just find pleasing to the eye! Like i.e. DJI Phantom 3 Standard drone shoots videos that can be easily described as beautiful, but everything even slightly lower than that (i.e. Phantom 2) is insufficient (to me) and does not offer... simply enought beauty (colors, details).. "know'm'sayin"? ;)

'sigh'... wall of text.. apologies...
hope someone from the biggest photo forum on the web can help me ;O

Last edited:
If you like the DJI P3, then get an Osmo.

whoah! I haven't came across that thing! Seems not too popular...
I'm looking at some reviews and... it looks like there's no DOF control :/
Pure sadness... cuz the quality and stabilization is good...

whoah! I haven't came across that thing! Seems not too popular...
I'm looking at some reviews and... it looks like there's no DOF control :/
Pure sadness... cuz the quality and stabilization is good...

Same DOF you get from your P3. 'Cuz it's the same camera!

How much DOF do you require?
Full Frame (expensive)
APS-C (still alot )
smaller sensor? (from $$ to super cheap)
what aperture ranges do you require ?

what sensor does the Sony x3000 have ... search for a camera that has the same sensor with a zoom lens.

Frankly with your requirement and your budget you are basically tilting at windmills.
Dang it... I know...
What about up to 1k$ then?

That's why I say no to mr. Osmo... let's leave this cam for landscapes and thats all

How much DOF do you require?
Full Frame (expensive)
APS-C (still alot )
smaller sensor? (from $$ to super cheap)
what aperture ranges do you require ?
Honestly...? ANYTHING! I know I can't expect too much... so as much as I can get from the camera in this budget :)
Having nicely blurred background with focused objects ~10ft far from me would be great tho...

Having nicely blurred background with focused objects ~10ft far from me would be great tho...
Once again, example would help.
You can also use software based blurring too. iPhone 7 (the big one) has a neat feature. And evens the Windows 8, Photos App, Effect, Selective Focus does a blur to the non-center of the image.
Sensor size and aperture size affects DOF/Background OOF.

So right now you are using words to something that can be technically defined by distance to subject, distance to background, sensor size, aperture size, and aperture number of blades and type of blades.

or you can use software based blurring options.

I don't mean to get technical, but the answer is based on what you are envisioning.

That's why I say no to mr. Osmo... let's leave this cam for landscapes and thats all

I don't get it.

............ Look, you can agree with me, that there's a level of quality which you just find pleasing to the eye! Like i.e. DJI Phantom 3 Standard drone shoots videos that can be easily described as beautiful, ...........

If it's the same camera?
CalvinBlink2.gif

I don't get it.
If it's the same camera?
CalvinBlink2.gif
I didn't make myself clear - I was talking about the beauty of AERIAL LANDSCAPE shots by P3.
Apart from that it's just a regular smartphone-like camera, which is not what I'm looking for:(

You can also use software based blurring too. iPhone 7 (the big one) has a neat feature. And evens the Windows 8, Photos App, Effect, Selective Focus does a blur to the non-center of the image.
Sensor size and aperture size affects DOF/Background OOF.

So right now you are using words to something that can be technically defined by distance to subject, distance to background, sensor size, aperture size, and aperture number of blades and type of blades.

or you can use software based blurring options.

I don't mean to get technical, but the answer is based on what you are envisioning.

It's no problem for photos, but can't imagine blurring the background in video post-p. I'd like to have it "naturally":)
Well... you actually got technical...;) ..beyond my competences :p
But isn't the bokeh all about having as big sensor as possible? I belive for my budget we have very narrow variety of options right? Taking into account my other requirements, probably you can think of something that meets them, at least to some extent?:)

But isn't the bokeh all about having as big sensor as possible? I belive for my budget we have very narrow variety of options right? Taking into account my other requirements, probably you can think of something that meets them, at least to some extent?:)

You're confusing 'bokeh' with 'depth of field'. They are not interchangeable.

DOF is quantifiable. It can be calculated and demonstrated. That portion of the image either is or is not in focus. Bokeh is the artistic quality of the OOF portions of the image.

Just to point out there is no all around camera that you're looking for especially in that price range. Many vloggers and adventurers have 2 if not 3 separate cameras for different uses and needs.

I could point out some cameras I've been looking that can do a bit of video and photo shooting but not so much have ALL the special features you're looking for. Another factor you mentioned was size and when you opt out for a smaller device you need to make compromises on the features you'd get with that.

I would suggest the one camera most all vloggers love which is the canon g7x. The mark 2 version is a lot better in low light supposedly and comes with a lot of features. That one should go for around 800 usd. I don't know in other countries.

Another one I've seen reviews on is the canon m5. which the g7x is a point and shoot this one is mirrorless which means you can change the lenses depending on what your looking for and I think this one has the 120fps you're looking for.

Both cameras have that flip screen for vlogging except the m5 did something weird and decided to make it flip downwards 90 degrees instead of up or to the side. If you don't know, the flip screen is an important feature for vlogging to be able to frame the shots selfie style.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

"lots of talking"

Thanks a lot Pedro! Your answer guided me a bit. I'll check out that g7x and see what it can offer - that'll be a good reference point for adjusting the expectations.
P.s. I'm not "that" kind of vlogger... self-obsessed, with my face as the main theme for majority of footage... -_- So that flip screen is irrelevant:)

You're confusing 'bokeh' with 'depth of field'. They are not interchangeable.

DOF is quantifiable. It can be calculated and demonstrated. That portion of the image either is or is not in focus. Bokeh is the artistic quality of the OOF portions of the image.
oh come on... ;) I know what I'm talking about, that was just brachylogy. Messing with the shallow DOF is to achieve the bokeh effect - as I said, I want to get that cinematographic spark... which you reffered to as the artitic quality. Lets not focus on details that much... I'd rather hear some suggestions on particular devices ;)

oh come on... ;) I know what I'm talking about, that was just brachylogy. Messing with the shallow DOF is to achieve the bokeh effect - as I said, I want to get that cinematographic spark... which you reffered to as the artitic quality. Lets not focus on details that much... I'd rather hear some suggestions on particular devices ;)
Actually you don't know what you are talking about. DOF defines the area that will be in focus and the area that is not in focus. PERIOD!

Bokeh is the quality of that out of focus areas. Some lenses such as the Canon 50mm f1.8 produce poor angular bokeh while other lenses such as the 85 f1.2 produce creamy smooth bokeh. The quality of bokeh produced is dependent on the quality and build of the lens use.

I've just checked the reviews on G7X and it seems to be very promising... its depth of field is almost sufficient:)
thanks again Pedro. Now I've got the reference point.

Actually you don't know what you are talking about. DOF defines the area that will be in focus and the area that is not in focus. PERIOD!

Bokeh is the quality of that out of focus areas. Some lenses such as the Canon 50mm f1.8 produce poor angular bokeh while other lenses such as the 85 f1.2 produce creamy smooth bokeh. The quality of bokeh produced is dependent on the quality and build of the lens use.
sigh...
I always count on people's common sense, but sometimes they fail me...
Again: I know what 'bokeh' is, and I know what 'depth of field is'. I've tried to explain to some of you that I used them semi-interchangeably because it was just a "mental shortcut" (aka brachology, aka I have gone from point A to point B without showing you the path, because I thought you would figure it out on your own...). I don't need you to prove me that I'm wrong - I know what I ment, so let's leave it behind.
Although, I thank you for your imput, I'd rather end the conversation on this 'misunderstanding' and get to the point of this topic.

Most reactions

Back