Is there anyway to limit the camera to certain shutter speeds?

Cop J

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I like shooting in all modes, except for auto really. I mostly use my 50mm 1.8 lens. Most of the time, I want my Aperture to be wide open at 1.8, but then when I begin to take the picture, the camera sets the shutter to 1/30 or slower. I then have to take the picture in Tv mode to keep the shutter faster than 1/60, but my aperture sometimes changes (especially if I move closer to the subject and don't realize there is more light, the Aperture sometimes changes to 2.8 or even 3.5).

I understand that the camera is trying tell me that it needs more light for this picture, but I would like it to adjust the ISO or accordingly, instead of it adjusting the aperture. So is there anyway to tell the camera "you can change whatever setting, but I am holding the camera in my hand, so KEEP THE SHUTTER AT 1/60 OR FASTER", while I control the aperture?

"you can change whatever setting, but I am holding the camera in my hand, so KEEP THE SHUTTER AT 1/60 OR FASTER", while I control the aperture?

Have you tried saying please?:mrgreen:

Manual mode should do everything you are looking for.

p!nK

"you can change whatever setting, but I am holding the camera in my hand, so KEEP THE SHUTTER AT 1/60 OR FASTER", while I control the aperture?

Have you tried saying please?:mrgreen:

Manual mode should do everything you are looking for.

p!nK

Yeah I know manual will do what I am looking for but sometimes I don't want to control EVERYTHING, I just want to control the aperture and the shutter speed can be anything above 1/60 so there isn't any camera shake.

If your camera has an auto ISO feature you should be able to set a minimum shutter speed. The camera will up the ISO to maintain at least that shutter speed.

Well, on some of the newer cameras they have Auto ISO which would do it for you. The main thing I would suggest is to watch your shutter speed, and give yourself some room based on what ISO you are using. For example, if you are using ISO of 400 you could bump it up to 800 or 1600 to make it less likely you would hit the 1/60 shutter speed.

I'm not familiar with Canon, but try looking under auto ISO in your manual. I know some of the higher end cameras have this feature, but yours may not. Otherwise, shutter priority may be your best option. I don't know if you have quick access to change your ISO, but you could notice if the shutter speed is less than 1/60, and quickly dial your ISO.

Edit: just a little late.

Thanks a lot for the help. I have to see if I have auto ISO on my camera. This is basically me just being lazy I guess..I could just press the ISO button and up it!

Most reactions

Back