Is there such a thing ... ? -- Stupid Question.. Maybe...Inovative.. I think so.. :)

zendianah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zenphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So.. I shot my second wedding and have to say I am PRETTY impressed with my lighting... OK maybe Im not... So... My question is.. Is there new tecnology that configures your camera to your Light Meter reading? If not.. wouldnt that be a cool Idea. Now Im not saying creative lighting. Im saying a perfect exposure everytime... Hooking up a lightmeter to the USB cord... Or is it out there?

and you'll just use the lightmetter when taking pics at a wedding, for example at the "you may kiss the bride" you'll go and measure the incident light, the contrast and the shadows and then take the picture? That's not very realistic :p

And btw...if they made one it shouldn't be on cable...wireless (infrared/bluetooth/other wifi technology) is more likely to be used since it gives more flexibility. But again...it's good only for studio photography. And if you do studio photography you should know how to interpret the meter's readings.

So, therefor, I see no point in making this thing (if it wasn't made already), unless we want to switch to fully automatic and lose the creative part of the "job".

And btw...how will the metter know if you want a shallow or large DOF, or if you want a short or long exposure time?

All in all, I don't think it's a good idea...

I assume you mean that you want to use a hand held meter for incident readings and have those settings automatically set on the camera. Because, of course, cameras have built-in light meters but they only take reflected readings. It really only takes a second to input the settings into the camera anyway.

I'm not aware of any such device...but a grey card will essentially accomplish the same thing because a reflected reading of a grey card should be the same as an incident reading. Also, an experienced photographer would be able to use the camera's reflected meter to get the 'proper exposure'.

It's not a bad idea though.

Most reactions

Back