Is this a fair trade? 17-55 2.8 for a 80-200 2.8 AF-S

pantherphoto1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S I'm considering trading for a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8.

My lens has a few cosmetic blemishes on the barrel, but perfect optics, the 17-55 is mint.

Is this a pretty fair trade? I feel like if mine were mint condition he'd be getting the better deal, but since mine has a few blemishes, it's pretty even.

PS yes I know it's a DX lens.. I shoot DX.

They are both selling for about $900-1100 on ebay right now. The 17-55 actually tends to bring in a little more money than the 80-200 most of the time, so I'd say that you're getting the better deal, but not by very much at all. They are pretty equal in value.

They are both selling for about $900-1100 on ebay right now. The 17-55 actually tends to bring in a little more money than the 80-200 most of the time, so I'd say that you're getting the better deal, but not by very much at all. They are pretty equal in value.

Thanks! It's hard to figure out what the af-s actually goes for, because people tend to list the wrong model in auctions, getting af-d and af-s confused all the time

Thanks! It's hard to figure out what the af-s actually goes for, because people tend to list the wrong model in auctions, getting af-d and af-s confused all the time
]

I actually read your post as it being an AF-D, because the AF-S is so rare, you hardly ever see them. When I do see them they are usually still only at about $950-1150, most people don't even know they ever made an AF-S version because they made it for such a short time period. I've NEVER seen one sell for more than $1150, and I watch ebay pretty closely. The 17-55 goes for about the same amount as the AF-S, and only very slightly more than the AF-D.

As long as it's a good trade for you practically, and the 17-55 will meet your style and needs better than the 80-200, then yes, it is indeed a good trade.

Most reactions

Back