Is this bad advice or am I just being pesimistic?

Putting it another way, Ken Rockwell has very narrow opinions which are sometimes applicable, and sometimes not... but all his opinions are spoken as if they are the unquestioned laws of reality. It's up to you, the reader, to decide which is which.

If you're inexperienced... that will be MUCH harder to do.

Well put... sounds like some others I know! ;)

:lol: Is that a hint?! :)

I think that Ken takes a lot of liberties with what he thinks we all NEED when it comes to digital photography. I can remember reading a computer magazine back in the 80's where some computer geek wrote that 64K of memory was all anybody would ever need to do anything with a home computer. I do agree with Ken when he writes that a good 6MP camera with good glass is capable of producing great images. But, I think a good 24MP camera with good glass is capable of producing even better ones. If you got it, flaunt it.

The way I take Rockwell's site is that he'll almost always advocate for the most practical, common-sense, and low-cost approach. This is valuable for novices (like me) who can easily get caught up in tech specs and minutiae in the quest to take better pictures. It is a useful reality check to have an experienced voice say "Don't worry about that, all you really need is this." He's definitely saved me some money and helped me to identify some lower cost lens options, which has been great.

He's also a heavily opinionated writer who is prone to extreme points of view, and often seems deliberately provocative, as if he enjoys pushing the buttons of people who like delving into the nitty gritty details. I think as long as you can filter out the bravado, there are some broad points that make a lot of sense.

And hey, the guy must be doing something right, given how many threads I see with his name mentioned! Love him or hate him, people spend a lot of time talking about him.

The way I take Rockwell's site is that he'll almost always advocate for the most practical, common-sense, and low-cost approach. This is valuable for novices (like me) who can easily get caught up in tech specs and minutiae in the quest to take better pictures. It is a useful reality check to have an experienced voice say "Don't worry about that, all you really need is this." He's definitely saved me some money and helped me to identify some lower cost lens options, which has been great.

He's also a heavily opinionated writer who is prone to extreme points of view, and often seems deliberately provocative, as if he enjoys pushing the buttons of people who like delving into the nitty gritty details. I think as long as you can filter out the bravado, there are some broad points that make a lot of sense.

And hey, the guy must be doing something right, given how many threads I see with his name mentioned! Love him or hate him, people spend a lot of time talking about him.

Being good at marketing doesn't necessarily make him good at what he using as a vehicle for the marketing! Just another blogger that tries to convince others that his word is final, so that he can hopefully make some money on it. Funny, If he was really that good.. he would have a lot of corporate sponsors... and they want nothing to do with him.

First of all, why 6mp, he stated 3mp is same as 6mp. Did he ever tested these camera out and find out his theory is correct? How does he knows the higher res is all about marketing gimmick? Does he ever worked in canon or nikon industry? Does he even ever talked those engineers in these industries? Ken Rockwell has nothing to support this. That is why people call him opinionated.

Do you learn anything from this video?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 36MP camera. Anyone with less than 36MP is a massive raging failure.

First of all, why 6mp, he stated 3mp is same as 6mp. Did he ever tested these camera out and find out his theory is correct? How does he knows the higher res is all about marketing gimmick? Does he ever worked in canon or nikon industry? Does he even ever talked those engineers in these industries? Ken Rockwell has nothing to support this. That is why people call him opinionated.

I said it on the first page of this topic and I'll say it again: You HAVE to look at the dates on things on his web site. That video was from 2009. You cannot compare what was "Best" in 2009 to what is "Best" in 2013. The digital camera industry has changed dramatically in the past 4 years.

I have 28.7 megapixels! I spread it out over 3 bodies so it would last longer ;)

Edit: Typo: I have 38.7mp ;)

Last edited:
Nice to know charlie's not talking about ME, since I don't make a nickel on my blog, don't attempt to, and cannot imagine how I even start trying to.

I said it on the first page of this topic and I'll say it again: You HAVE to look at the dates on things on his web site. That video was from 2009. You cannot compare what was "Best" in 2009 to what is "Best" in 2013. The digital camera industry has changed dramatically in the past 4 years.

I have 28.7 megapixels! I spread it out over 3 bodies so it would last longer ;)

Edit: Typo: I have 38.7mp ;)

I still have 3.2mp p&s camera. These pics still looking good on my monitor. I'm saying noobs still following ken rockwell advices for several years and came out to be broken hearted. Even his website is outdated, noobs still follow. In the 2009 video, he did not say what technology in these camera had and how much megapixel. He did not mentioned which cameras was top of line in that year. There is no history in this video. All his videos are like that. Blah, blah, blah,.....
You should look the one video he teaches photoshop.

Last edited:
Even Ken Rockwell does not take his advice seriously... it's posted somewhere on his blog, but it's been so long since I've looked I can't tell you exactly where.

Why do we even debate something said by Ken Rockwell? Shouldn't it be taken as false by virtue alone?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back