Is This Benro Tripod a Good Deal?

Dazed&Confused

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a beginner photographer and I'm looking for a decent tripod. I saw this today and wanted opinions on what you experts thought:

Is it okay to post links here?

Benro FTF18CIB0 Travel Flat Series 1 Carbon Fiber FTF18CIB0 B&H

If not, the name of the tripod is Benro FTF18CIBO Travel Series Carbon Fiber Tripod with IBO Ball Head

From reading the forums I see that Manfrotto and Benro are often recommended as well as carbon fiber being the preferred material. This seems like a really good deal that expires today but I can't find reviews about this particular tripod combo. Thoughts?

Thanks!

It looks like a good deal to me. If I were shopping for a travel tripod, that is definitely one I would consider.

Thank you! I would have considered the other carbon fiber version that's on sale but it's already sold out. Do you think there are any drawbacks to the fact that it's a travel tripod? I was looking for an all-around tripod since I'm a beginner but since I'm quite short, I guess the light weight is a plus.

Like would a Manfrotto tripod + some kind of ball head be better than this?

Even if you someday decide to purchase a heavier tripod for studio use, you will still have the travel tripod for traveling. I see nothing wrong with the ball head that is part of the deal. Does this tripod extend to the height that you need?

These are nice little units, and relatively well made. I wouldn't mount a pro body & 300 2.8 on that head, but for consumer bodies & kit lenses, it should work very well.

Even if you someday decide to purchase a heavier tripod for studio use, you will still have the travel tripod for traveling. I see nothing wrong with the ball head that is part of the deal. Does this tripod extend to the height that you need?

I'm about 5'3" so I think that is tall enough without raising the center column since that makes everything more wobbly, right? I think I'm going to order this and see how it feels once I get it.

These are nice little units, and relatively well made. I wouldn't mount a pro body & 300 2.8 on that head, but for consumer bodies & kit lenses, it should work very well.

Thanks tirediron. I have a Canon 70D and my heaviest lens right now is the 18-135 kit lens. I think I'm unsure because I've been reading too much about this. I know I'm not supposed to 'cheap out' for a quality tripod. Do you think I would be better off shopping used?

Tripods are often a great deal used. In my area they go for about fifty cents on the dollar, so if you're in a larger urban area check out Craig's List or similar, local 'sites to see what deals may be had there.

Thanks tirediron. I have a Canon 70D and my heaviest lens right now is the 18-135 kit lens. I think I'm unsure because I've been reading too much about this. I know I'm not supposed to 'cheap out' for a quality tripod. Do you think I would be better off shopping used?

Used is good, just stick with a well known name brand and you can find some pretty good deals used. If they list it as just "tripod" with no brand name, it's probably some cheap piece of junk they bought online or from Walmart so your not really getting much of a deal. Half the time I see people selling them used for more than what a new one from Walmart costs...

What can I say, when it comes to camera equipment around here Craigslist is not usually a good option - so I guess it depends a lot on your area. We've got a guy here selling a used Nikon D90, he's asking $650 for it. Used Canon 40d? Well gosh you can snag one of those for the bargain price of $1600. Wow.. what a steal.. lol..

But hopefully your local craigslist will yield better results.

I have to be honest, I'm pretty wary about Craigslist. I think there's less risk in buying a used tripod from there when you're a seasoned photographer, but as a beginner I would be totally lost. I also would be more comfortable buying used from a store.

I ordered the Benro from B&H since the deal is only for today. I should be able to pick it up since I'm close to NYC. If it doesn't seem like a good fit, I may still go the used route. I'll report back but just wanted to say that I appreciate all the advice and wisdom.

I have to be honest, I'm pretty wary about Craigslist. I think there's less risk in buying a used tripod from there when you're a seasoned photographer, but as a beginner I would be totally lost. I also would be more comfortable buying used from a store.

I ordered the Benro from B&H since the deal is only for today. I should be able to pick it up since I'm close to NYC. If it doesn't seem like a good fit, I may still go the used route. I'll report back but just wanted to say that I appreciate all the advice and wisdom.

No worries. The tripod I own is a monster:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-70-Inch-Pistol-Grip-Tripod/dp/B00CF1LS94

I rarely if ever shoot anything with a tripod but on the extremely rare occasions when I need one, I haul this beast out of the closet. It weighs a ton - but it's built like a tank.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So I picked it up after work yesterday.

And I hated it. It was awful. I thought that a carbon-fiber Benro that retails for $330 (I paid $160) would be pretty good! But it wasn't. So it's going back.

It's not very clear from the pictures, but the point where the three legs meet don't form a circle like most tripods - the legs just lay flat. And it quickly became clear why this wouldn't work, it was mostly stable but seemed like it would tip over in one direction due to the way the legs lay flat. It was very light but the carbon fiber felt like cheap plastic, and when I was unscrewing the leg, it would just fall off?! I guess I know why I couldn't find reviews on this and why it was B&H's Daily Deal - if you go back now the whole line has been discontinued. :delete:

At least B&H has a good return policy. So I'm back to square one. When I went to pick it up yesterday I got a chance to look around a bit before they closed and liked the feel of the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Tripod W/SBH 100 Ballhead. They also offer it in a carbon fiber option for not too much more. Thoughts? I went by their used section and they had some legs but nothing really stood out to me.

If not the Vanguard, which Manfrotto setup would be good? I think I've read that their ballheads are not as good as their legs?

I've used and still use Vanguard Monopods, very solid and well made piece of kit. The extensions have not proven to creep even with over 10lbs of kit on them.

My tripod is an older Manfrotto alumium monster you could use to beat a grizzly to death with, very solid and stable, but also very heavy. I have used 3 different Manfrotto ballheads over the years and all have proved reliable and sturdy. The only one that creeps or slips sometimes is an RC322 grip head, and after taking apart and servicing that is back to holding solid, even with a 5DIII and 500mm lens on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back