What's new

Is this even interesting to anyone??

mikehaugen

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 1, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
22
Location
northern illinois
I don't usually care too much for taking city pictures, but I kind of like this one. It was taken from the Navy Pier ferris wheel (Chicago), as a lot of people can probably tell. Is this interesting and/or appealing to anyone or is it kinda cliche/ boring? Is there anything that you would change? This is actually my first c&c posting and I am ready, so bring the heat!

I hope the exif is available to you, if not let me know and I will tell you more. I didn't do much editing except bringing up the exposure a little as well as some CA correction. Thanks.

5521557136_f36761de88_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'd aim the camera down a little more so the horizon is closer to the 'upper third' line of the frame. I know you're fighting less-than-ideal lighting, so the image really doesn't have much going for it there. Focus seems to be tack-sharp.

And no Exif data:
Handling APPx (0xe0) block.
Handling APPx (0xe2) block.
Handling APPx (0xed) block.
End of APPx data blocks reached.
Status = 0

Unable to extract some or all of the EXIF data, which may have been removed from the image file.
 
what do I have to do to enable exif, it is posted from flikr and on the flikr site it allows you to view exif. How is it getting lost posting to here or what do I need to do differently?

Here it is as copied from the flikr site...

Camera Canon EOS 20D
Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 26 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire
Subfile Type Full-resolution Image
Image Width 1936
Image Height 1291
Bits Per Sample 16 16 16
Compression Uncompressed
Photometric Interpretation RGB
Strip Offsets 24162
Samples Per Pixel 3
Rows Per Strip 1291
Strip Byte Counts 14996256
X-Resolution 240 dpi
Y-Resolution 240 dpi
Planar Configuration Chunky
Date and Time (Modified) 2011:03:12 20:16:12
Artist unknown
XMPToolkit Adobe XMP Core 4.2-c020 1.124078, Tue Sep 11 2007 23:21:40
Samples Per Pixel 3
Bits Per Sample 16
Photometric Interpretation RGB
Creator Tool Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.3
Creator unknown
Lens 18.0-125.0 mm
Image Number 1
Flash Compensation 0
Owner Name unknown
Legacy IPTCDigest CFFEF71E83D0E3698BD43A8A56F00D9B
By-line unknown
Exposure Program Manual
Date and Time (Original) 2011:02:19 16:55:38-06:00
Date and Time (Digitized) 2011:02:19 16:55:38
Max Aperture Value 4.5
Metering Mode Multi-segment
Focal Plane X-Resolution 3959.32203389831 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution 3959.32203389831 dpi
Custom Rendered Normal
Exposure Mode Manual
White Balance Auto
Scene Capture Type Standard
Flash Return No return detection
Flash Mode Off
Flash Function False
Flash Red Eye Mode False
Image Width 1936
Image Height 1291
 
It is not a bad location, it is just a sad lighting. Was this taken in evening? Maybe try it in morning? So you can have more light in the foreground
 
Yeah I agree, it is terrible lighting- it was in late afternoon and I was to the east of the buildings. What can I say though, that's when I was there. I actually live about 2 hours from Chicago so don't get too many opportunities to take pictures there, not that I am complaining though, I hate the city.
 
It is not a bad location, it is just a sad lighting. Was this taken in evening? Maybe try it in morning? So you can have more light in the foreground

By the data, it's taken at 4:55 PM. Looking NorthWest, that I know.
 
I like city skylines. Although I do everything possible to stay away from cities. It seems like your horizon isn't level. Also you have some sensor dust in the picture. Look to the right of the tall tower and the left. Nothing major but it's there. Props for getting the shot. I won't even stand next to the ferris wheel let alone get on one. Thanks for sharing.



Mike S.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom