Is this lens compatible "?

laos100

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently purchased a Pentax K1000 at a thrift shop after recently picking up the film photography hobby. In addition to the camera, there was a bag that was included that had a couple of lenses inside. A Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom, 58mm filter size (copied from Wikipedia) was included in the bag. I have tried to put it on the camera in multiple ways and it just doesn't want to fit. I can't find anything online about this lens being compatible with the camera, but I also can't find anything about it not being compatible with the camera. I wouldn't be as determined to find an answer if the previous owner hadn't left a lot of lens filters behind in the bag that only fit said lens. Any information would be appreciated !

Also if it isn't compatible, any other 58mm macro lenses recommendations?
thanks !

Many aftermarket lenses were available with a variety of mounts for different brands of bodies. Most likely your mount is for a different brand of body. If you can post a picture of that mount (say, taken with a cell phone camera) we can probably identify it. For your K1000 you need a lens with a K mount, which is the Pentax mount.

IMG_3318[1].JPG
IMG_3320[1].JPG
IMG_3319[1].JPG

I tried to include a couple of angles that capture the mount. I don't think I did a great job but if you need some more let me know. Also don't mind the messy desk. Thanks for any info.

I figured it was a different mount. thanks !

I was thinking that Vivitar made lenses for various brands of cameras...

The K1000 is a classic so if it's in good shape it might be worth finding another lens for it (maybe figure out a prime lens that would be a length you'd use a lot). I've done well at http://www/keh.com or http://www.adorama.com 's used dept.

I have recently purchased a Pentax K1000 at a thrift shop after recently picking up the film photography hobby. In addition to the camera, there was a bag that was included that had a couple of lenses inside. A Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom, 58mm filter size (copied from Wikipedia) was included in the bag. I have tried to put it on the camera in multiple ways and it just doesn't want to fit. I can't find anything online about this lens being compatible with the camera, but I also can't find anything about it not being compatible with the camera. I wouldn't be as determined to find an answer if the previous owner hadn't left a lot of lens filters behind in the bag that only fit said lens. Any information would be appreciated !

Also if it isn't compatible, any other 58mm macro lenses recommendations?
thanks !

There's no need to get too fused about filter size, you can use a cheap step up ring to fit filters on lenses designed for smaller filters, & to a lesser extent step down filters can be used if the lens is bigger (this can cause vignetting - dark corners).

Very few zooms are actually macro lenses despite thew labels manufacturers put on them. If you want to do macro, a macro prime of around 100mm is generally best (50mm macro lenses have minimal working distance, usable for flowers but not insects). Cheap options that shoot above their price are The Tamron SP 90 macro (an adaptall lens, usable on PK if you get the right adapter) & the Cosina 100mm macro.

If you've not got a 50mm lens, there are hundreds of these around in K mount, most are reasonable quality & quite affordable.
135mm lenses are the other main 'must have'. Loads of options here too.

You can buy an adaptor FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter for Minolta MC/MD Lens to Pentax K Mount Camera but probably more than the lens is worth.
The Vivitar lenses of that type were made by either Kiron or Komine, and are excellent. I have several for both my Pentax and Minolta SLR's. I also have the Minolta to Pentax lens converter and, to me, it's worth the money since I have a LOT of excellent Minolta/Rokkor/Tokina lenses which provide me with a lot of lens flexibility.

@joelbolden One of the big advantages of Pentax thats kept me with them for for over 50yrs, has been their forward/backward compatability. Having that type of standardization gives you opportunities to seek out the best models, either in brand or outside. I've collected multiple legacy lenses that perform as well or better than new, most of which have been picked up for pennies on the dollar compared to new.

I also have a large collection of Pentax lenses; I've also been using Ricoh/Pentax cameras for decades, so I've both K-Mount and M42's. Since Minolta also makes outstanding ones, not to mention Kiron, Komine and Tokina, I've essentially doubled the number of excellent lenses available to me by a simple purchase.

I have many old Pentax manual K lenses, which I still use on my digital bodies sometimes. There are so many brands that produced K-mount lenses! I totally love this Cosina 55mm F1.2- if you want a pro-level lens for it that's different and can find a deal on ebay.

Most reactions

Back