Is this lens soft???

yeah, I'm scared to look in too much detail though... I don't trust myself

The image does look soft, but there are too many factors that goes into that.

1. What is the lens' optimum aperature. Most L's and macro lenses can be shot wide open; whereas other lenses will need to stop down at least 2 stops for best performance. That just the way it is.
2. Is this a tripod mounted shot, mirror lock-up, shutter speed? Trying to shoot an image with clearly defined sharp edges, i.e. text, any micro-blur will be more evident. In most cases, a tad of post-process sharpening will fix it.
3. Auto-focus or Manual? Lenses are not tack sharp out of the box for the most part. Factory only guarantees that they fall within a certain percent of front/back focus to be consisdered "sharp". Your better off taking test shots of a lens chart to determine that than use the in camera focus adjustment; if it has it, to fix the lens.

No camera upgrade will help you with sharpness. Only proper technique and superior lenses will cure that.

The image does look soft, but there are too many factors that goes into that.

1. What is the lens' optimum aperature. Most L's and macro lenses can be shot wide open; whereas other lenses will need to stop down at least 2 stops for best performance. That just the way it is.
2. Is this a tripod mounted shot, mirror lock-up, shutter speed? Trying to shoot an image with clearly defined sharp edges, i.e. text, any micro-blur will be more evident. In most cases, a tad of post-process sharpening will fix it.
3. Auto-focus or Manual? Lenses are not tack sharp out of the box for the most part. Factory only guarantees that they fall within a certain percent of front/back focus to be consisdered "sharp". Your better off taking test shots of a lens chart to determine that than use the in camera focus adjustment; if it has it, to fix the lens.

No camera upgrade will help you with sharpness. Only proper technique and superior lenses will cure that.

I am afraid it was just a handheld shot without mirror lock up. The shutter speed was about 100+ (can't quite remember, but it was quite slow) so not ideal circumstances really.

I have a 40d, but i don't know if that has in camera adjustment.

I'd only judge the sharpness of a lens at 1/1000 or more... but that's because I shake like a mother when I'm trying to be still.

I am afraid it was just a handheld shot without mirror lock up. The shutter speed was about 100+ (can't quite remember, but it was quite slow) so not ideal circumstances really.

I have a 40d, but i don't know if that has in camera adjustment.[/QUOTE]

The 40D does have lens focus adjustment. It's under custom function. Definitely download a Lens Sharpness chart and print it out. Follow the directions to test the lens. Just Google a search for chart. There was one posted on the forum a while back, so you can try a search there also. In my experience, Sigma lenses sharpen up at about 2 full stops down. All in all, sharpness is subjective, what appears on the monitor does not necessarily translate to print and vice-versa. I normally judge sharpness at about 50% zoom in all my post work.

thanks for the help. I will have a look into that.

You're work looks super sharp btw. I almost cut my eyes on those things!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back