Is this lens supposed to zoom?

FocusDave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all. I recently purchased my first 35mm SLR: a Minolta X700 with a 50mm f/2.0 lens. From looking around the office where I work, we had a box of old camera things that had been donated to us that were basically free for anyone to take. I dug around a little bit and found a Minolta auto film winder and a Vivitar Series 1 24-48 lens. The lens "works" in the sense that I can attach it to the body, focus, adjust the aperture, and take pictures. I notice, though, that the camera is stuck on a focal length of about 36mm. Am I supposed to be able to zoom with this lens? It says "Auto Zoom" on the front of it, but I have no idea how that works. Thanks in advance!

Is there a ring on the lens you can turn?

There is what appears to be a zoom ring between the focus and aperture rings.

14_Vivitar_Series_1_2448_1.jpg

It's got the same kind of texture as the focus ring, but doesn't turn. I'm considering taking into the local camera shop here in SLO, I was just hoping that someone here would have some insight.

Wild guess: that isn't a picture of the actual lens you put on the Minolta X-700. Nikon - Minolta switcheroo thing going on there.

The zoom ring should turn, unless it is damaged or seized.

No, that's not the exact same lens, but for the most part it is the same (Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm f/3.8). I just pulled up a Google image search to show the rings. This lens didn't cost me a dime, so I might go get it looked at to see if something is seized or damaged and if it's fixable.

If that middle ring doesn't have any numbers on it like the example you posted, it's likely just there as a grip to mount and unmount the lens from the camea body.

It does have numbers on it, the exact ones there. Someone told me that "AutoZoom" is an old Vivitar name that just stand for AUTO focus ZOOM lens. I'm planning on taking the lens in to my local camera shop to get appraised

Someone told me that "AutoZoom" is an old Vivitar name that just stand for AUTO focus ZOOM lens. I'm planning on taking the lens in to my local camera shop to get appraised

Early use of the word 'auto' in a lens name usually referred to an auto diaphragm - ie the lens has a mechanism that allows it to be stopped down to the working aperture automatically after pressing the shutter release, immediately before the exposure is made. The lens stays wide open the rest of the time (while it is on the camera, and if the DoF preview button is not pressed), no matter what aperture is set on it.

Most reactions

Back