Is this pic better in color or BNW. C&C also welcomed

i like the color version better. but there is a lot going on, and i can't figure what the subject is.

i would agree with thereyougo, all the great light trails i have seen, are on some type of curve, or create a leading line, etc.... these are sort of just cutting the image in half. but with no real purpose.

i'm dying to go shoot some myself, but its been too cold or rainy to go to a good spot. and i didnt want to just setup on the corner.

Night work tends to look better in color, as we can't see this in real life. the blending of tones and shades at night can be amazing, of course too long of an exposure and it can look like daylight, which of course is not the point.

thereyougo! said:
Traffic trails are nearly always better in colour. I would say that neither really works as traffic trails are shots that should have a leading line. Just as an example one of mine from Lucerne in Switzerland:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/singingsnapper/6514912935/
Traffic trails in Lucerne by singingsnapper, on Flickr

or here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/singingsnapper/6385430425/
Dresden road and churches by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Nice examples. I agree with the leading lines statement. But rules are alway made to be broken. This isn't one of the best examples. It is too busy. When it gets a little nicer outside I will shoot more trailing lights.

D7000, 18-105 VR, 50mm 1.8, iPhone 4

I like the B&W better.... I think the colorful red trails are doing more harm than good in the color version. In the B&W they blend into the road more and seem to flow better with the entire image.

I'll work on the Bnw and repost it!

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Dominantly said:
I'll offer a 3rd alternative, selective desaturation.

Funny you said that. I worked on a version with selective desaturation. It was mainly bnw with the red light trails. I also tinted the red with a yellowish hue. I dont remember if it was saved though. I'll give another go.

D7000, 18-105 VR, 50mm 1.8, iPhone 4

Most reactions

New Topics

Back