Is this possible with my camera?

valligirl20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to photography. I have a Canon Powershot S95. Is it possible to take a photo of a person with only them in focus, and have the backround blurry? I've tried setting the aperture high, but I can't seem to achieve that effect. Is my camera not advanced enough for this?

Thanks everyone!

If by "setting the aperture high" you mean a big number, then you are doing it wrong. To get a blurry background, you need the lowest number... f/2.0 in your case.

Either way, the small image sensors on point and shoot cameras is too small to really get a good blurry background.

Your best be is to get the subject as far away from the background as possible and get as close to the subject as possible.

If by "setting the aperture high" you mean a big number, then you are doing it wrong. To get a blurry background, you need the lowest number... f/2.0 in your case.

Either way, the small image sensors on point and shoot cameras is too small to really get a good blurry background.

Your best be is to get the subject as far away from the background as possible and get as close to the subject as possible.

Hi,
I meant to the lowest f number. So I guess I need a different camera to really get this effect. Well, that sucks!

Thanks for the replies. I'll do some more reading.

Yes technically speaking, it also has to do with your DOF (depth of field) Have the subject further away from the background but closer to your camera. Google Depth of field to get a real good understanding of this.

Hi,
I meant to the lowest f number. So I guess I need a different camera to really get this effect. Well, that sucks!

not really, although not super-easy.

Yes, it's not impossible, but it's certainly harder with a camera like yours. The reason is the size of the sensor in the camera, it's tiny.
The average DSLR cameras have a much larger sensor, making it easier to get a shallow DOF. The top end DSLR cameras have an even larger sensor...making it easier still to get a shallow DOF.

You can still get the effect you want with your camera, but you may have to get as close to your subject as possible, and at the same time, have the background as far away as possible.

Most reactions

Back