Is this smart?

JELIFISH19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I posted a "What to buy" thread yesterday but no one seemed to actually look at my questions.

So I'm taking a photography class. But it's not based on the technical aspects. The professor recommended a high-end point and shoot like a Canon G10 or G11. But I want something more than a P&S since I might want to get into photography. Might is the key word. I was thinking of getting a DSLR. But they're expensive once you start adding lenses, it's also a lot to carry just for taking pictures. I can only afford an entry-level camera anyway. If I wanted to pursue it further, I would want to go higher end when/if that time comes. So I began looking for other options.

I found the Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR. It's more like a bridge camera. I looked at some user reviews of the S100FS, its predecessor, on Amazon and it seemed like it's exactly what I am looking for. It seems extremely convenient. It's right in the price range I'm looking at. It seems like it has the flexibility of a DSLR. If I do decide to get into photography further, I'll get a higher end DSLR as opposed to the entry level one I would get now. From the reviews of the S100FS, people own these in addition to their DSLRs or as a replacement when they're not that serious about photography anymore. I'm looking to get my feet wet. One thing I like is that if I do decide to go deeper, I'll still have a use for it. It seems like a good idea in the long run since it's not like buying a entry level DSLR and having no use for it when I upgrade.

Here it is:
FinePix S200EXR / S205EXR : Specifications | Fujifilm Global

Is that a good idea and does it look like a good camera? I'm completely new to this and I don't want to buy a doorstop.

for a compact its an excellent camera. The s200exr that is

Are there similar cameras out there that I should also consider? I couldn't find any myself. My budget is about $600.

with a budget of 600 why don't you just get a G10/11. They're great cameras.

I don't get it, you got plenty of answers in the other thread.

Final answer with your budget is a D40 with kit lens, cheaper than your budget and you didn't just waste your $ on a point/shoot should you decide to persue photography further.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back