Is this statement true?

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot an engagement session with another photographer. She claimed she has done photography for 20 years but yet she showed up with no external flash shooting at 4 pm! Anyway, she told me that my flash is messing up her focus. Is that statement true? I understand messing up her exposure, I don't know about focus?

Oh also she was using a zoom lens that is about 18-100mm maybe? She had the hood rotated wrong. The long sides were on the sides! I didn't tell her because I didn't want to sound like a jerk. I am pretty sure she will see the hood if she is shooting wide. Or maybe this is an advance technique I didn't know about?

I have no idea about the answers to your questions however how did you set this up? It seems weird that this was not spoken of before you shot together?

I shot an engagement session with another photographer. She claimed she has done photography for 20 years but yet she showed up with no external flash shooting at 4 pm! Anyway, she told me that my flash is messing up her focus. Is that statement true? I understand messing up her exposure, I don't know about focus?

Oh also she was using a zoom lens that is about 18-100mm maybe? She had the hood rotated wrong. The long sides were on the sides! I didn't tell her because I didn't want to sound like a jerk. I am pretty sure she will see the hood if she is shooting wide. Or maybe this is an advance technique I didn't know about?

I have seen 'pro' photographers do things and say things that made my jaw drop.

Doing wedding for friend of friend. We both want wedding photos for our portfolio. She will be the main shooter. This is a free one. I will get food and full bar access though lol. That's why we both did the engagement photo

i wonder since it wasn't synced with yours that the light burst from your camera was somehow offsetting hers? Kindda weird. Never heard of this before

LOL Schwetty....

You should change your sig to: "Wedding photographer looking for work, willing to accept payment in beer"

I would ask her why she did things how she did... i know one persons flash can mess up somebody elses exposure but thats it

yeah, a flash can help you focus... well the IR beam... but it won't affect somebody else's focus, that's a little ridiculous. Unless they're just saying they can't concentrate (focus) with a flash going off.

Did she have the hood on backwards, because maybe she wasnt getting lens flare at the moment, and you can turn it around when needed? prob best you didnt tell her she had it on wrong.

You should change your sig to: "Wedding photographer looking for work, willing to accept payment in beer"

Or

31261309_09Will_work_for_food.jpg

Did she have the hood on backwards, because maybe she wasnt getting lens flare at the moment, and you can turn it around when needed? prob best you didnt tell her she had it on wrong.
It sounds like she actually had it installed wrong.

Petal type hoods are made to extend as far out as possible without being visible in the frame. The sides are shorter because the side of the frame is shorter.

If she had it rotated 90 degrees, it could be possible for the ends of the long petals to be visible in the picture. The short petals would also not be shading the lens as much as they could be.

Most reactions

Back