Is this too OOF?

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I took this shot with my sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG Macro.

the exif data is: Camera: Canon EOS 30D Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80) Aperture: f/5.6 Focal Length: 300 mm ISO Speed: 100 Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV Flash: Flash did not fire

I was on AV mode and had my camera for about a week when I took it, the shallow depth of field means the back end of the frog is out of focus, but how are the eyes are they sharp?

If I were to retake this picture, what can I do to improve this kind of picture? (larger here)

2458551334_bfcc5d04b2.jpg

it has camera shake in that. Probably because your shutter speed was way to slow for that focal lenght. When you are shooting at 300mm you might wanna try to get a shutterspeed of 1/320 or faster. Nice guideline is too use a shutterspeed that is the same as the focal lenght you are shooting. So when shooting with a 50mm lens, you wanna shoot 1/50 or faster....a 200mm would use a 1/200. Should help you get that camera shake out of your pics :)

The eye is a touch soft. To correct it, you either need steadier hands ;), a tripod, or a faster shutter speed. To get the faster shutter speed you'd need a larger aperature (faster lens), but as you stated, with a larger aperature you'll loose depth of field. You could bump the iso up till you get a shutter speed that you can hand hold, but in this case you would likely get too much noise out of it.

ah yes I have actually learnt that and now I shoot on manual instead of AV,

I also didn't use a tripod and was balancing on the edge of a pond

would a flash have helped I guess I selected those settings because the light was bad

Oh and I got so used to keeping my ISO turned down with my old S3IS i forget I can turn it up on this camera!

Most reactions

Back