Is upgrading my camera worth it?

One option is the Sony RX series which has 1 inch sensor and it is a point and shoot camera with pretty decent optics. RX100 (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VA: Digital Photography Review and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI: Digital Photography Review ), the very compact and capable camera while the RX10 (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV: Digital Photography Review) is bigger, but the lens can go up to 600mm (35mm equivalent) for the 3rd and 4th generation.

Sample photos from flickr for RX10
Search: sony rx10 | Flickr

Sample photos from flickr for RX100
Search: sony rx100 | Flickr

One option is the Sony RX series which has 1 inch sensor and it is a point and shoot camera with pretty decent optics. RX100 (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VA: Digital Photography Review and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI: Digital Photography Review ), the very compact and capable camera while the RX10 (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV: Digital Photography Review) is bigger, but the lens can go up to 600mm (35mm equivalent) for the 3rd and 4th generation.

Sample photos from flickr for RX10
Search: sony rx10 | Flickr

Sample photos from flickr for RX100
Search: sony rx100 | Flickr

https://learn.zoner.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/sensor-size.png

My questions are:
1. Will I really notice that my pictures are quite a bit better by upgrading to a change-able lens mirrorless?

Thanks.

I'm with the above posters. No idea where the medium format recs came from. In answer to your question above. I would say probably no unless you study and apply what you've learned. I have a FZ300 which is similar to your ZS50 and I can do just about whatever I want with it.

Your camera shoots raw, has that awesome zoom, has program, aperture, shutter speed and manual modes. If your pictures don't look like what you see, you can change that by learning how your camera works better or by learning better editing techniques. Always shoot raw and watch a couple tutorials on youtube about landscape photography.

But in all honesty, you should be able to produce very nice images with what you have already. Let your skill level dictate when you've outgrown a camera and don't expect a new camera to suddenly make your pictures amazing. Make the move from mostly auto mode to the other modes and play with white balance and shadows/highlights or even HDR and if your camera is still limiting you, then upgrade.

I've had a Sony A6000 for several years now and I have found quite capable of landscape shots like you are wanting to make. I think you will see a MARKED improvement in your pictures over the P&S you are currently using.

I have the A6000 and like Greybeard use it all the time while hiking, backpacking and taking landscape shots. It's light, compact and has all the advanced features I think you'd want.

I agree with some of the other posters, if you hike / travel and want a camera that's lightweight and small get mirrorless and 'pancake' lenses
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place. I've been doing lots of reading, but can't find anything specific to my type of photos.

I currently just use a point and shoot. It is the Panasonic DMC-ZS50. I also used to use the Canon PowerShot SX710HD but it broke.

The huge majority of my pictures are mountains. I hike all the time and take many pictures of distant mountains and scenic landscapes including sunsets. I also take a decent amount of lake and waterfall pictures. Lastly, I love taking pictures of wildlife when I see them. That is it. I never do portraits, sports, cities or anything like that.

I mostly just use the auto mode, but I know a bit about the other settings like aperture, shutter speed, iso etc... I am interested enough and willing to spend the time to learn these better.

I like my current pictures, but wouldn't mind getting better quality pictures. So I'm thinking about upgrading. I like the idea of mirrorless simply to keep size and weight down.

I spoke to someone at a camera store and he recommends I get the Sony A6000. I read online that it is not the best landscape camera.

I am very tech savvy and like cameras that give me the options to configure a lot. Too much automation or forced choices drive me crazy.

My questions are:
1. Will I really notice that my pictures are quite a bit better by upgrading to a change-able lens mirrorless?

2. Is that Sony A6000 a good choice?

Thanks.
Reading this causes me to think that you are not a photographer who hikes.
I get the impression you are a hiker who likes to take photos.

A photographer who hikes is primarily interested in the photo. This person will put up with extra size and weight of gear.

One of my old Flickr contacts was primarily a back country hiker and skier who also happened to shoot exceptional photos.
He did a bit of post processing, mostly converting to dynamic black and white.
At that time he was shooting with a Canon Powershot G10.

You sound more like a hiker who would also like nice photos.
I would recommend you investigate the small all in one cameras such as the Sony RX100 and its successors and the Canon Powershot G series. They will shoot excellent images. They afford the photographer quite a bit of control.

I would advise the hiker who would also like to take photos to avoid dSLR cameras with interchangeable lenses and avoid the mirrorless with interchangeable lenses.
Unless that hiker wants to switch and become a photographer who hikes.

Most reactions

Back