ISO 100-800...any big dif in IQ?

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone do some tests with the lower end ISO range?

Can the difference between 100, 200, 400 or 800 be seen in prints up to 16 x 20? If so, where do the ISO's overlap and don't show much difference?

Thanks

With my D7000, 100 to 800 is almost indistinguishable even on screen (provided proper exposure). But with my old D80, 800 is practically unusable.

This is highly... VERY highly dependent on the camera.
And on the person using it. I could use images all of the way up to 12800 on my old 50D. Many people complain about the noise issues on the 50D.

This is highly... VERY highly dependent on the camera.
Plus, the accuracy of the exposure relative to the brightest stop of luminosity in a scene.

You are shooting yourself in the foot by posting all these questions you have been posting.
By doing your own research you necessarily encounter information you didn't know you would want to know.

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adob...e/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adob...ly/prophotographer/pdfs/pscs3_renderprint.pdf

Image noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Digital Camera Image Noise: Concept and Types

Understanding Dynamic Range in Digital Photography

Short on time. Like to get feedback from forums...they are discussion forums right? Cambridge in color is a nice site. Thanks!

Now, with the current crop of cams. What ISO is for practical purposes = to another with IQ?

If we are shooting at between the 100 - 300 range are they pretty equal?

Or can we always tell the difference in prints of moderate size?

No expert here but 200 speed 35mm film that became so popular gave you a little better low light ability compared to 100. That's why people liked it. 200 had better IQ than the 400 but not as good as 100. In most cases though the IQ from 100 to 200 was difficult to tell. I used a lot of 200 before I started using digital. Now "it's all automatic" but I still try to keep my ISO around 200. Old habit i guess.
Like the other replies said, it has a lot to do with the exposure being correct and the particular camera being used. And the 300 or 320, I have not used that (on purpose).

16x20? Heck yeah. If you can see the difference on your screen, then you can see it on the print. I can see the difference on the screen with ISO800. Now if you had said 4x6....

If you want people to put time and effort to answering, you should be willing to do the same in forming the question with details and participate. If you are short in time, take your time and post later. this isn't google.... its people... a discussion. You are requesting their time and input which is not free.

For starters, specify which camera or cameras would make the discussion a whole lot more fruitful. KmH already posted links to read.. did you read them? or do you "not have enough" time and want others to do it for you?

Short on time. Like to get feedback from forums...they are discussion forums right? Cambridge in color is a nice site. Thanks!

Now, with the current crop of cams. What ISO is for practical purposes = to another with IQ?

If we are shooting at between the 100 - 300 range are they pretty equal?

Or can we always tell the difference in prints of moderate size?

I think you are wasting your time.
You will tell the difference in IQ at 100 ISO if the photographer took a sh!tty, underexposed image and bumped it up.
16x20 is small in the relative terms of things. Most current cameras can print a 16x20 with ease at nearly their full ISO range.
I have printed posters taken at 3200 ISO with excellent quality. I have printed 60"x20" canvas at ISO 800 with outstanding quality.
There is so much more that goes into a print than the camera. The photographer has a HUGE amount of control over the quality of each and every image coming out of the camera. The processing has a huge impact on the image when it's printed.

The problem is even with the current crop of cams the noise level at different ISOs are very different across models. But it's not just absolute noise. It also depends on how much you value sharpness since noise reduction can do wonders for noise at the expense of perceived sharpness.

Short and simple answer - Compact yes, DSLR no. - and don't be wise guys, i mean compacts with small sensors not the new ones with medium sized sensors ;)

Most reactions

Back