What's new

ISO 102400

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 15, 2011
Messages
3,935
Reaction score
1,876
Location
Texas (Hill Country)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
given the recent thread about ISO I wanted to share this taken today at iso 102400 (highest I have gone so far). I know many people don't like grain, but I really love it. Perfectly acceptable IMO, maybe not for client work, but in general.


day 69|365: Noah plays in the tunnel by paige_w, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
was any noise reduction done to this photo?
 
no noise reduction...nothing except my matte post processing
 
My understanding is that your dynamic range is reduced with higher ISO's presumably because the boosted signal has less difference between no-signal and full signal. Haven't tested this, so maybe it's full of hooey, but perhaps it's worth checking into.
 
My understanding is that your dynamic range is reduced with higher ISO's presumably because the boosted signal has less difference between no-signal and full signal. Haven't tested this, so maybe it's full of hooey, but perhaps it's worth checking into.
Interesting. I have not heard that before.
 
I used 5d mark iii. High iso images take a lot of practice. There has to be some sort of quality light falling on your subject for it to work. Expose for highlights and the noise is minimal. I usually prefer b/w for high iso shots but I really loved the colors of the tie dye. And, honestly, I was impressed with the color at that high iso!!


The t3i (which I used to own) doesn't go up that high, but I did max that out often as well.
 
Grain in film based images, which is caused by the light sensitive silver halide grains in the emulsion, looks different from digital image noise.

Higher ISO (ASA) 'fast' film meant bigger silver halide grains, which were more visible in the image.

Kodak defined a 'Print Grain Index" using a RMS measurement of density fluctuations in uniformly exposed film. (RMS = Root Mean Square, a measure of the spread of a quantity)
Granularity was measured with a microdensitometer that had a 48 micrometre aperture.

For portraits I kept a refrigerator stocked with Kodak Ektar ISO 25 Professional (PHR) that was graded micro-fine for gain size.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom