ISO AND SENSITIVITY READING

Nici

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D7100. I have my ISO on auto and sensitivity level to 3200. I normally shoot in aperture priority and program modes. With my Nikon D3100 I was able to adjust the ISO to 100 and it would stay there but with the D7100 I turn the back rotating wheel to 100 but on the meter on top it seem to jump to 3200. I am unsure what actually goes on inside the camera as I cannot establish the ISO on the camera reading on top. How do I get it to stay on 100 cause normally I shoot outside in good light but some of my pictures are washed out. I guess I either have the ISO settings wrong in the program or I don't understand the meter on top of the camera. Can someone please help this old gal out. By the way, I was shooting today with my prime 35 and aperture on 4.5. Maybe to much light crept in that's why some pics where washed out. Seems was especially the case in aperture.

If you have an iso set to auto the camera was set at

If you are using any program mode the camera was set other settings for you

To test out shutter aperture and ISO you need to be in manual mode

(I'm on a computer now versus my phone).
With your D7100 you have ISO set to AUTO, with what sounds like a MAX of 3200.

Thus you are allowing your D7100 to adjust the ISO automatically to whatever it wants up to a max of 3200.
If you turn off the ISO AUTO then it won't float and will stay Fixed.

On your D3100 it sounds like you do NOT have Auto ISO on, thus you are setting a FIXED ISO. the d7100 is allowed to "float" to whatever it wants.

That is one of the variables.
The other is that anything other than MANUAL exposure mode, you are allowing the computer in the camera to select what it thinks is best for exposure.

On your d3100 you are controlling the ISO and the Aperture (in Aperture Priority mode) and allowing the camera to select the Shutter.

On you D7100 you are letting the camera select the ISO (up to 3200) and Shutter in Aperture Priority mode.

If you want to control all 3 or at least the Shutter (control movement) and Aperture (control Depth of Field), then you can use Manual with AUTO ISO/MAX for the quickest method in Manual Exposure mode.

Also, your Metering Mode may also have variations in photos - spot, versus a small area versus Matrix. This can also vary the exposure of similar settings between cameras.

What you're calling sensitivity is actually the max setting for the camera to use when it automatically sets ISO. Turn auto-ISO off for manual control of the ISO.

The cameras may have defaulted differently on that settings, or the D3100 may have not even had auto-ISO, I don't know that camera.

With Auto-ISO, the camera will choose an appropriate ISO, no matter what your other settings, up to your specified max.

Last edited:
I have found a considerable difference (as astronikon said) between the various metering modes. To that end, I sold my earlier Nikon and am concentrating on learning the myriad of idosyncracys of the D7200!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back