ISO is not real In Digital Camra's

Status
Not open for further replies.

donny1963

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so i said this before, about ISO not real in Digital Camera's.

here is the True fact, the ISO setting in your camera is not applied at the time the picture is taken,
it's applied AFTER THE PICTURE IS TAKEN, all it is, is applied GAIN to amplify the Exposure for lower lighting that is it and it degrades your picture doing that as well the higher the Applied gain (ISO) Setting the more noise and degradation in your image.

Turing up your ISO is just like taking your under exposed picture in lightroom and increasing the Exposure setting to make the picture well exposed, that is all it is..

The ISO is applied well after your picture is taken..
Before some of these guys who think they know it all argued me telling me i was wrong, but what i'm saying is the truth,

here is another fact if you take a picture with one full frame camera at 800 ISO
and compare it to another full frame camera by another camera manufacture company the images will not always be the same in other words some camera manufactures misrepresent what ISO 100 or 500 really is, to make it look like their camera take better pictures at a higher ISO setting them other which is all a lie.

Are you feeling manipulated yet??

yeah ISO is NOT part of the exposure triangle at all. NOT IN DIGITAL Photography!!!!

ISO is really applied gain..
don't believe me here is 2 other sources who say the exact same thing...

go to 3:50 time line on this video for the ISO TOPIC

Donny

Seriously, stop watching YouTube and get out there and take some photos. Then instead of re-posting someone else's *controversial click bait* you may actually learn something, or even come up with your own opinion.

I'm fed up with these videos.

I'm curious as to your reason for assuming that the originator of the video knows more than I do, or any other person? What if I post a video that says the exact opposite of this video?

here is another fact if you take a picture with one full frame camera at 800 ISO
and compare it to another full frame camera by another camera manufacture company the images will not always be the same in other words some camera manufactures misrepresent what ISO 100 or 500 really is, to make it look like their camera take better pictures at a higher ISO setting them other which is all a lie.

You already know this can't be true otherwise external light meters wouldn't work. Clearly if an external light meter can be used to meter a scene for a photo and work with any camera with manual settings control and achieve a similarly exposed result; then clearly the ISO isn't just something totally made up. Granted there is variation and there is variation in the performance of the hardware and software when the signal is amplified which results in the variation in quality. But this is purely talking about clarity, noise and dynamic range rather than talking about the over/under exposure of the photo.

Also I have to agree with the others, get away from the clickbait youtube videos. If you want to learn more leave youtube and get some proper technical manuals on the subject. You also have to accept that there's a difference between a working knowledge of something and a specific scientific and technical understanding. The two might not line up correctly nor even perfectly; but the former is a practical level of understanding that allows one to achieve results within a set of conditions. The latter might be deeper understanding, but it might not result in any actual improvement of performance when used in the same conditions.

However there's a wealth of confusion you can spring by mixing the two ends together; or by exposing people with a working understanding to "bits" of the technical understanding in isolation from a deeper understanding of the overall technical elements going on inside the camera and the physics behind it all. Such major gaps wil often cause more confusion than not.

And we've not even touched on variation in sensor technology between standard sensors and the newer ISO Invariant sensors that sony and Nikon are using; nor things like the Fovorian (not sure on spelling) sensors that Sigma have experimented with.

Ok so i said this before, about ISO not real in Digital Camera's.

here is the True fact, the ISO setting in your camera is not applied at the time the picture is taken,
it's applied AFTER THE PICTURE IS TAKEN, all it is, is applied GAIN to amplify the Exposure for lower lighting that is it and it degrades your picture doing that as well the higher the Applied gain (ISO) Setting the more noise and degradation in your image.

Turing up your ISO is just like taking your under exposed picture in lightroom and increasing the Exposure setting to make the picture well exposed, that is all it is..

The ISO is applied well after your picture is taken..
Before some of these guys who think they know it all argued me telling me i was wrong, but what i'm saying is the truth,

Are you feeling manipulated yet??

yeah ISO is NOT part of the exposure triangle at all. NOT IN DIGITAL Photography!!!!

ISO is really applied gain..
don't believe me here is 2 other sources who say the exact same thing...

go to 3:50 time line on this video for the ISO TOPIC

Donny

face_palm.jpg

Almost entirely wrong.

You did get this right: "Before some of these guys who think they know it all argued me telling me i was wrong,..." And you're still wrong.

Joe

I'm curious as to your reason for assuming that the originator of the video knows more than I do, or any other person? What if I post a video that says the exact opposite of this video?

knows more then you, well if you say what i said was incorrect then they do , and i do..

i don't say this just because it's in a video, was claiming i'm not the only one who knows this,
And this is a fact, ISO is applied after the picture is taken, and i have proof just as tony does he shows 2 pictures to prove it..
i went out and shot some images and saw the same exact results.

You people who think ISO is part of the exposure triangle like in film days are totally wrong and have no idea how digital photography works..
it's NOT the same as film, it's digital hardware and software working together to create a picture, a digital camera is nothing but a photo processing unit.
I have taken pictures with ISO 1600 got a good exposure, then same situation at ISO 100 the picture was way under exposed,

then just put it in light room cranked up the exposure setting until the image was the same as the picture taken at 1600, same noise same exact look.
That is because Turning up your ISO is just as you would turn up your exposure in light room to brighten up the picture no different other then when you turn up your ISO your camera does it for you before it writes the image to the card, that is it..

Seriously, stop watching YouTube and get out there and take some photos. Then instead of re-posting someone else's *controversial click bait* you may actually learn something, or even come up with your own opinion.

I'm fed up with these videos.
i don't care if your tired of it, in fact it pisses you off because you can't admit your wrong.
Oh well..
If you think ISO is part of the exposure triangle in digital photography then you don't know how digital photography works.. SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

this is a fact, ISO is applied after the picture is taken, and i have proof just as tony does he shows 2 pictures to prove it..
i went out and shot some images and saw the same exact results.

You people who think ISO is part of the exposure triangle like in film days are totally wrong and have no idea how digital photography works..
it's NOT the same as film, it's digital hardware and software working together to create a picture, a digital camera is nothing but a photo processing unit.
I have taken pictures with ISO 1600 got a good exposure, then same situation at ISO 100 the picture was way under exposed,

then just put it in light room cranked up the exposure setting until the image was the same as the picture taken at 1600, same noise same exact look.
That is because Turning up your ISO is just as you would turn up your exposure in light room to brighten up the picture no different other then when you turn up your ISO your camera does it for you before it writes the image to the card, that is it..

Almost entirely wrong.

You did get this right: "Before some of these guys who think they know it all argued me telling me i was wrong,..." And you're still wrong.

Joe[/QUOTE]

i'm not wrong i said this before the videos was made and now got 2 others who back up what i said,
if you think ISO is part of the Exposure triangle then you don't know much about digital photography and are confused with FILM photography.
this is a fact and for you to just say i'm wrong doesn't change them facts,
Want to prove me wrong show me some hard facts (Evidence) Prove me wrong, i would love to see the proof..

You already know this can't be true otherwise external light meters wouldn't work. Clearly if an external light meter can be used to meter a scene for a photo and work with any camera with manual settings control and achieve a similarly exposed result; then clearly the ISO isn't just something totally made up. Granted there is variation and there is variation in the performance of the hardware and software when the signal is amplified which results in the variation in quality. But this is purely talking about clarity, noise and dynamic range rather than talking about the over/under exposure of the photo.

Also I have to agree with the others, get away from the clickbait youtube videos. If you want to learn more leave youtube and get some proper technical manuals on the subject. You also have to accept that there's a difference between a working knowledge of something and a specific scientific and technical understanding. The two might not line up correctly nor even perfectly; but the former is a practical level of understanding that allows one to achieve results within a set of conditions. The latter might be deeper understanding, but it might not result in any actual improvement of performance when used in the same conditions.

However there's a wealth of confusion you can spring by mixing the two ends together; or by exposing people with a working understanding to "bits" of the technical understanding in isolation from a deeper understanding of the overall technical elements going on inside the camera and the physics behind it all. Such major gaps wil often cause more confusion than not.

And we've not even touched on variation in sensor technology between standard sensors and the newer ISO Invariant sensors that sony and Nikon are using; nor things like the Fovorian (not sure on spelling) sensors that Sigma have experimented with.
First off don't talk to me tell me telling me to learn something i didn't watch the video for education, i knew this BEFORE any of them 2 videos was produced, i posted the same thing last year way before them videos was out..

and only post them to prove i'm not the only one who has the correct information.
ISO is nothing more then applied gain to a picture AFTER the shot was taken, so it can't very well be part of the exposure triangle can it??
there is proof right there,
exposure triangle is Aperture, Shutter and signal to noise ratio, that is it, NOT ISO. ISO setting is APPLIED AFTER the shot was taken..
unlike Aperture and Shutter is applied at the time not after..

ISO is totally not the same thing as in FILM Camera, nothing to do with exposure at all other then just cranking up a under exposed shot. that is it..
that is why if you turn it up too much your picture looks like garbage from being over amplified.. kinda like when you try to turn your stereo too loud when it's distorting because it can't produce a clear signal at that gain.

Last edited:
........ISO is totally not the same thing as in FILM Camera, nothing to do with exposure at all other then just cranking up a under exposed shot. that is it..........

Explain 'pushing' and 'pulling' (N-1, N-2, N+1, N+2 etc) film then.

By the way here is more info explained on this i'm not going to type it all.
This video explains what this is all about because you and the other 3 people replying to this don't know..

..........you and the other 3 people replying to this don't know......

That's a pretty bold statement there, sonny.
Pretty bold, but have no problem with it because it's 100% true!
no one , BUT NO ONE can dispute this statement..
and i must give myself a BOLD touche on posting this because one of them videos also proves my other statement i made that larger sensors don't gather more light because of it's size..
in the start of that video that is explained and prove as well. So i give myself a 2 for 1 :) YA YA YA

this video is the one i'm talking about

Donny

..........you and the other 3 people replying to this don't know......

That's a pretty bold statement there, sonny.
Pretty bold, but have no problem with it because it's 100% true!
no one , BUT NO ONE can dispute this statement..
and i must give myself a BOLD touche on posting this because one of them videos also proves my other statement i made that larger sensors don't gather more light because of it's size..
in the start of that video that is explained and prove as well. So i give myself a 2 for 1 :) YA YA YA

this video is the one i'm talking about

Donny

Sorry, but if you're just going to make BLANKET STATEMENTS about what you think I know, you have zero credibiltiy.

Fact is, I haven't even disagreed with you.

But apparently you simply want to argue. Towards that end, I'll let you win.

1305523587250.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back