Isolation

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about this one. Does it capture the mood I was going for that of being isolation? If not, is there anything you think I could have done to capture this better? Please, let me know what you think.

NewIsolation.jpg

File size: 180906 bytes
File date: 2006:01:13 12:47:39
Camera make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera model: NIKON D70
Date/Time: 2005:12:20 12:51:53
Resolution: 800 x 540
Flash used: No
Focal length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/18.0
Whitebalance: Manual
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Thanks for looking! :D

That's a pretty good job. It doesn't really say isolation to me, as I percieve isolation as a person/thing being isolated. You may be showing an area which is isolated, but words like bleak, quiet, peaceful have more in common with the picture than isolation (I reckon). I'd be interested in what Hertz or anyone else has to say about that aspect.

I think the picture would work slightly better if you halved the amount of brown foreground and boosted the contrast a tiny amount to get the sky a bit whiter.

Great job on the misty trees though, a good spot and well exposed to give that ghosty look.

Let me know more about what you're thinking and why you took the picture and I might be able to say more, if you're interested.

Rob

You could definately intepret as that as the tree on it's own the majority in a group in the distance. But that's not how I read it. i think it's hard to transplant thing you associate with humans to other things. The less klike humans the hardr. If it was a chimpanzee then it would work better less so with a kitten but still some.

It's not really possible to relate to a tree so trying to personify it is a hard thing to do.

Daniel has a point, but I think you could acheive that by adding some sort of human touch to the scene, probably next to the tree. It could be a person itself, or if a bench were there, even if empty. A picnic blanket. A small shack. Something that had a human connection.

But I don't think you need that for a good picture. I'd probably use a panoramic crop, cutting off about a quarter to half of the grass at the bottom, measured at the left, and then leaving the same amount of sky above the tree as there is grass. Right now, there's a lot of grey sky that isn't adding to the image. I like the small boost in contrast idea, too.

It's a great capture of fog, which is tricky. Nice job! :D

Rob said:
That's a pretty good job. It doesn't really say isolation to me, as I percieve isolation as a person/thing being isolated. You may be showing an area which is isolated, but words like bleak, quiet, peaceful have more in common with the picture than isolation (I reckon). I'd be interested in what Hertz or anyone else has to say about that aspect.

I think the picture would work slightly better if you halved the amount of brown foreground and boosted the contrast a tiny amount to get the sky a bit whiter.

Great job on the misty trees though, a good spot and well exposed to give that ghosty look.

Let me know more about what you're thinking and why you took the picture and I might be able to say more, if you're interested.

Rob

When I saw the tree I saw it looked awkard out in the field by itself. Also, the actual tree is rather awkward looking, with its bald spot on the right side of it and the mangled mess at the bottom, so I thought it looked isolated or alienated from the rest of the trees.

I had seen this shot a few months ago in the summer but never took it because I thought that it lacked the gloomy/depressed mood that I wanted in the summer during the bright sun. Then the other day it was really foggy out, and I immediately thought of taking the shot. I think that the fog enhances the mood I wanted because now the trees in the back are even more separated from the subject in that they are faded.

Thanks for the critique everyone! I really appreciate it.

i dont think my first thought would have been isolation if you didnt say that, i do see how you can get it though. i do like how the tree is by itself and the other trees are in the background. i like the fog.

I like Marc's version, although I would probably have left the levels more natural (although the picture is "better" like that, I think the gloomier look suits - just taste really). I might also lose a bit more of the bottom.

Ho-hum, it's still a good picture and you've done well to remember and catch it at that point.

Rob

i like the crop but the toning of the second one loses some of the feel. b/w might look good, especially if you toned it like a silver plate image and posterized the mid-tones.

Here is my black and white version. I simply removed the color from the previously posted image and maybe messed with the contrast a little, I can't quite remember as I did it the day I edited the other one.

IsolationBW.jpg

Most reactions

Back