Isolation

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This picture is posted in the Critique section, but nobody seems to be commenting, so in hopes of getting a little critique I am posting it here.

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about this one. Does it capture the mood I was going for that of being isolation? If not, is there anything you think I could have done to capture this better? Please, let me know what you think.

NewIsolation.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

im certainly no expert, but to me it doesnt look like what i would call isolation. its just my opinion, but if the fog was blocking the trees in the background and only the tree on the left side was showing, it would seem more isolated to me. im not sure if the meaning you were looking for was the tree being isolated, or the thought of being there would make a person feel isolated so i looked at it as the tree being isolated. i do like the picture though. the only thing i would change is to maybe crop some of the top off but again, im no expert and i can only mention what i would personally like. after looking at it for a couple minutes, maybe if you could crop it so just the tree on the left was showing, and none of the trees in the background were showing would give it a more isolated look (to me anyways). it does have a small degree of isolation in the sense that the tree is apart from the rest, but i think if the distance between the single tree and the rest in the background looked like they were further apart, it would look better. still a very nice picture tho (IMO). like i said, im just a noob when it comes to photography, but i thought i would give you my opinion. i hope it helps, and you arent offended by it.:thumbup:

John_05 said:
im certainly no expert, but to me it doesnt look like what i would call isolation. its just my opinion, but if the fog was blocking the trees in the background and only the tree on the left side was showing, it would seem more isolated to me. im not sure if the meaning you were looking for was the tree being isolated, or the thought of being there would make a person feel isolated so i looked at it as the tree being isolated. i do like the picture though. the only thing i would change is to maybe crop some of the top off but again, im no expert and i can only mention what i would personally like. after looking at it for a couple minutes, maybe if you could crop it so just the tree on the left was showing, and none of the trees in the background were showing would give it a more isolated look (to me anyways). it does have a small degree of isolation in the sense that the tree is apart from the rest, but i think if the distance between the single tree and the rest in the background looked like they were further apart, it would look better. still a very nice picture tho (IMO). like i said, im just a noob when it comes to photography, but i thought i would give you my opinion. i hope it helps, and you arent offended by it.:thumbup:

I'm not offended at all, and I thank you for your honest criticism. I will probably try changing it up a bit in photoshop a little later on and will definitely take your advice into consideration.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I agree with John that the trees in the background take away from the lone tree being isolated. But the shot itself is really wonderful. I love the composition.

I like the shot as is. But I agree that it doesn't quite say 'isolation'.

Try a simple crop. Eliminate all but about 1/8"-1/4" of the fg and crop in about 1.5-2" from the right (the first 2 or 3 tree trunks on the right). Without all the fg, it helps to create more distance between the trees in the bg, helping it feel more isolated.

I get the feeling of seperation vs. isolation if that makes sense? You've gotten some great ideas for other crops, but I wanted to also say that I do like the image as it stands, the fog is great!

Edited to say this was Alison, that will teach me to sit at the other computer!

I love the photo as it is :) I feel "loner" from it.

Or...almost, the Exorcism of Emily Rose. I could expect her to walk in from the right side of the image any moment.

Most reactions

Back