Issues with camera temperature range?

jterry85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone!

I'm a new guy and had a quick question about my Canon Digital Rebel XT. I'm currently in Afghanistan where the temperatures can reach up to 130 degrees fahrenheit easily. The manufacturer states not to expose the camera to more than 104 degrees fahrenheit. My question is: What damage could result from the extreme temps to my camera? And how can I recognize this damage in its early stages? I would assume that it would affect the sensor in some way I'm just not sure how.

Thanks,
Joe

104 degrees, really? Wow, that seems like a very low temperature threshold. I have to admit that I've never looked at the book specs for mine (Nikon) but I have toted them all over the Middle East and routinely in temperatures that were well above 130 degrees. Personally, wouldn't be too worried about temperature, but do be careful of humidity/condensation and dust entering the mirror chamber if you change lenses out of doors.

I would think that the first things to be affected by high temperature would be the LCD panel(s), followed by the sensor. Problems with the LCD would be immediately obvious. As far as the sensor goes, I would guess that they would manifest themselves as noisey areas. If you do see problems start to appear, then I would say bring it back into a cooler area.

I believe that they also say that these cameras shouldn't be used in temperatures lower than freezing (32F / 0C)...but many of us do it quite regularly with no ill affects (besides a shortened battery charge life).

In other words, their listed temperature range is very likely on the safe side of what the camera is actually capable of. They are just covering their asses.

That being said, there can be adverse affects when the sensor gets too hot. This usually has to do with very long and bright exposures where there is a lot of electrical current being used. So if you are shooting in hot weather, this may be more likely...but it still shouldn't be an issue unless you are shooting long bright exposures.

Your camera doesn't have live view or movie modes...so the sensor is always covered by the shutter, so it's probably safe.

As for the rest of the camera, I think the same rules of common sense would apply...as with any other plastic / electronic device. In other words, if your skin isn't melting, your device is probably going to be fine. Just be aware that self generated heat that would usually disperse faster, may take longer (it might appear to heat up faster).

In Afghanistan, I'd be a lot more worried about sand & dust doing damage.

Thanks guys! I've got a Canon photo backpack on the way to keep the camera and my lenses in so hopefully that'll take care of the dust issue. Although, the majority of the time it will be riding in the back of an armored vehicle or carried on me during patrols so dust probably will be a major issue.

Thanks for doing what you do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back