It ain't that old....is it

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Due to some confusion brought on by canon's naming a lens series after an obsolete camera body designation It dawned on me that most of you are using new cameras. This brings me to the question:

How many (if any) have and still use with frequency, a camera more than ten years old?

Why or why not?

Oh. Well. The "with frequency"-bit of your question makes it impossible for me to answer for truth being told, I only ever use my digital cameras (one of the two, really) with frequency.

I have my old Canon, and I have my dad's Leica in my possession, and any time I see either of the two, I get a pang of conscience and think "You ought to use those more", particularly when it comes to the Leica. But ... I don't :(.

Why not?
Because for most of the time these days I have to be fast!
All the dance practise photos require for me to be really on the alert, understanding and reacting to a scene, expression, move AT ONCE. And I am still too much "ABC-ing" my way through the use of the Leica (possibly because I simply practise using it too seldom!), so I leave it at home...

One other reason is that I often at least THINK I might present the pics I take here, and it is so cumbersome to scan prints (and my scanner is so bad!), and ordering a CD with the processing of the film is expensive ... yeah. Lame excuses, but they are all I can offer.

I've got an old Olympus OM 10, must be 20 years old. It doesn't get much use anymore as film is soooo yesterday.

Oh. Well. The "with frequency"-bit of your question makes it impossible for me to answer for truth being told, I only ever use my digital cameras (one of the two, really) with frequency.

I have my old Canon, and I have my dad's Leica in my possession, and any time I see either of the two, I get a pang of conscience and think "You ought to use those more", particularly when it comes to the Leica. But ... I don't :(.

Why not?
Because for most of the time these days I have to be fast!
All the dance practise photos require for me to be really on the alert, understanding and reacting to a scene, expression, move AT ONCE. And I am still too much "ABC-ing" my way through the use of the Leica (possibly because I simply practise using it too seldom!), so I leave it at home...

One other reason is that I often at least THINK I might present the pics I take here, and it is so cumbersome to scan prints (and my scanner is so bad!), and ordering a CD with the processing of the film is expensive ... yeah. Lame excuses, but they are all I can offer.

Truth be told that is why I added the "why not" facet to the second half of the question. It helps me better understand some of where Photography has gone since I was in school.

I my self do (as if I haven't already made clear :lmao:) I am currently using a Canon EF, It's older than I am. I learned on older cameras seventies and eighties (minolta X-370 or X-570 (something to that effect I can't remember), Nikon FE or F3 and they had one Olympus I can't even begin to remember) and I like the feel of them. It looks like a brick and feels like a brick, I know I have my camera.

The grips on the newer SLR's are awkward and uncomfortable to me, and there has been a couple of times my digital PaS has been in my pocket and I did not even realize it, not to mention how awful it is to hold. I feel like a buffoon holding the thing out to compose a picture as the view finder is not the most accurate.

I use the my Canon far more than the digital because I like it and I know it. Yes, I am hiding in my security blankie, and I am happy with that. I keep the digital around because it fits nicely in the PDA pocket of my brief case and I never know when I will have the need for a camera.

Off topic, I had a fire goin' on my desk wile trying to make this post, guess I should do something about that so it don't happen again, huh?

How many (if any) have and still use with frequency, a camera more than ten years old?

Why or why not?

Most of my cameras are older than I and many still see use... c

Why... I like collecting them.. I like having them.. I like shooting with them. There is something really nice about shooting with a camera without the fancy technology and gadgetry that at times just distract from the final purpose.. to create a photograph.

I guess my Minolta Dynax 600Si must over 10 years old now and I'm pretty sure there's a half used roll of film in it - couldn't tell you what though. Must be about time I finished it off and worked out what's on it. There's also a Canon 35mm compact somewhere too, that must be 7 years old and there's more than likely a film in that too. Am I using them? Well probably not, though I'm more inclined of recent times than some previous...

Nikon FE from the late 70s. I use it because it is my film camera. It is my first SLR. Infact I consider it THE film camera. It's basic, manual, and built like a tank. It goes with me in the camera case even when I don't plan to use it in case I need it. I have no doubt that 10 years from now when my D200 has failed for whatever reason the Nikon FE will still be with me. So it will probably be my last SLR too.

As for when I use it, mostly as a backup, sometimes for nostalgia, sometimes just because I can, but often when I start experimenting like with cross processing film or shooting Kodak HIE, or Illford Delta3200. That sort of thing.

I have three older cameras that I use. My baby, is my Minolta Maxxum 7000 which I bought in 1986 when it first came on the market -I felt so proud. I use it all the time, but have yet to see the results of my last 8 rolls of film because of devloping costs.... this is why I like digital best, but my only digital is an Olympus P&S that is 8 years old!

I use my first film camera, a Yashica TL Electro from 1974, once in awhile, but its difficult because the uptake knob for the film doesn't always advance like it should, but other than that its a good sturdy camera.

I also use my dad's 1950 Agfa Isolette [the kind with bellows] but it uses 120 film, which while still available, is difficult to come by and have developed unless I use a pricey camera store.

Most reactions

Back