It has been done before. With gear worth more than my car.

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Across the street from me, there is a bald eagle nest. This year, the eagles have been much more active. If I head down to the beach, I will come across somewhere between 4 and 9 different young ones (that haven't gotten their white feathers yet). I also will see at least 4 to 5 adults. They will fly close, land on the rocks, etc. I can get close enough at the beach to *nearly* fill the frame with an 85mm on my full frame camera... when the tide is a little bit out and they're just relaxing on the rocks.

Anyways. The nest is right across the street up in a tree. My neighbor owns a mansion and then some. He and his wife are very nice and extremely generous. I spoke with his wife who told me it would be alright (if I call ahead) to come over and take some shots of the eagles. From their yard, you get a full view overlooking the ocean, and the tree tops are at eye level, so shots of the birds are really easy to get. The eagles play in the trees in their yard, and bathe in an Eagle bath there as well. It's really amazing.

Here's the question: How does one capture a uniquely interesting wildlife shot if others have been in the same spot, taking shots of the same birds, under similar conditions, with more expensive gear, and respectable enough experience and skill? My neighbor shoots with a lens that is more than 10x the price of my 150-600 Contemporary!!! It's all quite interesting (the scene, the gear, the land), just a lot of fun to see, and to be that close. (Unfortunately my house is right across the street, but the property is large enough to put enough distance that at 600mm, I just can't get close enough from my yard).

Anyways, they're great people. I'll be going over there at some point to take some shots. I'm just excited to see the Eagles and experience it all from their perspective, but I'm curious about how you might approach a shoot and come out with unique and interesting shots... without producing shots that look like a carbon copy of someone else's shots (600mm zoom vs. 600mm f4 prime, same location, same birds, etc, etc).

What I read one time and agree with is that each photographer arrived at the spot by traveling a different road through life. Those experiences affect how one looks at the shot they are going to take. Then the shot is that moment, creating your 2D image of what you saw at that moment of the 3D world.

In other words, just go take the shots they will be yours.

You can look to capture some action activity that is a bit different. Perhaps as multiple birds interact or a bird captures a fish and flies away with it.
How about a different angle or approach? Put a camera by the water or somewhere and trigger it remotely?

Don't worry about what others have done. When you present your photos they will be your photos and yours alone. Don't be afraid to fill up a memory card so you have a selection to pick from'

I'm curious about how you might approach a shoot and come out with unique and interesting shots... without producing shots that look like a carbon copy of someone else's shots (600mm zoom vs. 600mm f4 prime, same location, same birds, etc, etc).

Well, in the immortal words of Curtis Armstrong, sometimes you just gotta say What the F and make your move.

Unless your plan is to enter these in some sort of special contest against all the other photographers who have taken shots of these birds at that location, seriously, who cares what their end results may have been.

I spend a lot of time shooting at the zoo and frankly each trip is something new, new opportunities present themselves because the subjects aren't static. You can't really plan to get a great shot of a tiger yawning or a gorilla doing something interesting, you just go and see what happens. and be ready to capture those moments that do catch your eye when they happen

Granted higher price equipment can be a plus, but at then end of the day it comes down a lot more to how you use what you have. I've seen more than my share of folks who have more invested in their camera body or a single lens that I have in my entire setup, and it's never bothered me a bit. Some of them are remarkable photographers, and some of them might as well have just been using their cell phone considering the end results they were getting.

My advice, dump the equipment envy, forget about comparing your work to the others who came before you and just go out there and shoot for the sheer enjoyment of it.

As always, YMMV.

I appreciate all the input. I'll just go and shoot and have fun.

And yes! That's exactly what I'm getting at there (with the Yellowstone National Park picture!). At a certain point, things seem a tad bit ridiculous.

Given the setting, my gear, and what I'll be taking photos of, I do intend to get some shots that are sale-worthy (but that's not my intention - I just want to have fun, throw some stuff on Flickr, and prep some photos for a book print). There really is a significant amount of exclusivity to this specific part of the location, and the element I can catch the birds in. I tend to just go down to the beach and hope the eagles are playing by the rocks and around me, but this planned location is pretty much a hub for some of the eagles -- guaranteed lots of action over the waiting period of a couple hours.

But then there's this:

Photographers and giant lenses in Yellowstone National Park - a photo on Flickriver

I have to kind of wonder wtf these guys think they're doing.
Hmmmmm....z

Ok, as a data point, I have a 300 2.8 ED IF AF ( first AF version) as well as a 500 f4P (manual focus) Neither cost that much (<$1100) and there are numerous situations where without either I wouldn't have gotten the image I wanted. Contrary to the belief many (most) have here, BIF, sports and other long lens shooting was happening with MF lenses. It does require you to have excellent technique and skill, but it's really not that hard to learn.

But then there's this:

Photographers and giant lenses in Yellowstone National Park - a photo on Flickriver

I have to kind of wonder wtf these guys think they're doing.

Getting this
SNO_0473-L.jpg

Be glad you have a great opportunity and enjoy your time. Hopefully the eagles will do something totally different the day you're there.

Taking the same picture as everyone else in a crowd isn't photography. It's fancy snapping.

Unless they all got the same angle, focal length, sensor/film size and shutter timing chances are they didn't all get the same photo. Similar maybe; but not the same and within that crowd there'd likely be some great shots that emerge.

[...] It does require you to have excellent technique and skill, but it's really not that hard to learn.
That sentence probably made some sense in your head ... but written down, it really doesnt make that much sense to me.

Either something is easy to learn, OR something requires excellent technique and skill. You cant have it both ways - right ?

Taking the same picture as everyone else in a crowd isn't photography. It's fancy snapping.

Ok I guess I missed that in the rulebook.
Page 6. It's right under the bolded text that reads rules that apply to everyone offer not valid in all states certain restrictions apply void where prohibited.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back