It pays NOT to be on FACEBOOK

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now when you apply for a good job, the company asks for your FACEBOOK password, so that they can check whether your facebook "reputation" jives with their company "image". More interesting than that however is that if you get involved in anything legal from a traffic accident law suit to a separation or divorce, then the first thing that the opposition lawyer or legal team checks out is your facebook account and those of your friends whether photos for example that you have there or in your friends facebook accounts can be used against you and that means for example something as simple as a party photo, sports photo, travel photo etc.

I wonder how many out there are even minimally careful about what they post on Facebook?

skieur

I signed up years ago just to 'reserve' my internet moniker. I've never been back.

I personally have nothing to hide on my facebook page, but I would have to question whether I want to work for a company that would make such a request. (Then I would question the legality of it)

Now when you apply for a good job, the company asks for your FACEBOOK password, so that they can check whether your facebook "reputation" jives with their company "image". More interesting than that however is that if you get involved in anything legal from a traffic accident law suit to a separation or divorce, then the first thing that the opposition lawyer or legal team checks out is your facebook account and those of your friends whether photos for example that you have there or in your friends facebook accounts can be used against you and that means for example something as simple as a party photo, sports photo, travel photo etc.

I wonder how many out there are even minimally careful about what they post on Facebook?

skieur

baloney1.gif

Facebook password or the ability to see your Facebook page? There's a big difference and I wouldn't work for a company that wanted my password but would unhide my page for them to review. I have nieces and nephews as my friends so I've always been careful on what I post and display. They can knock themselves out viewing mine. I also have tags and wall posts set to approve before they go out for all to see.

Do you have a news link regarding giving out passwords? I've only ever heard of perspective companies reviewing a potential employee's page.

That is against the law. They can look at your public information but privacy is violated if the want access. I would personally walk if a job requested the password, because that is a good indicator on how you'd be treated there.

A friend of mine was advised not to open a facebook account while he was working for the police, i can understand this, but for a company to except access to your FB account is completely wrong and unethical. I would refuse point blank, Its a complete invasion of privacy.

A friend of mine was advised not to open a facebook account while he was working for the police, i can understand this, but for a company to except access to your FB account is completely wrong and unethical. I would refuse point blank, Its a complete invasion of privacy.

My partner works for the police on murders facebook is one of the first things they look at

I've never opened an acount with Facebook. Never plan to either.

I've been resisting Facebook, although I am constantly invited to join by my real friends and their friends, and friends of those friends.

gsgary said:
i mention this over a year ago the police love facebook

That's how they found my husband's ex bass player!! XD

That being said, I have nothing to hide either, BUT, if a company demanded my password I'd leave. If they're gonna be up my ass about my FB profile, I can only image what WORKING for them would be like.

I've heard of this happening though. I just wouldn't deal with it. Nope.

I'm very careful. Never used it, never going to use it, have no use for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back