It's a hummingbird invasion!! more photos 8-16-22

Lovely photos. And yeah, it's tricky because you want a wide enough DoF so the tips of the wings don't blur but also a fast shutter speed.

BTW, I actually have an e-book on Amazon about attracting and shooting hummingbirds. What flowers to plant, how they're attracted by red, and a range of setups for good photos. All the photos in it are mine. It's got low-tech and high-tech setups: Hummingbirds: Attracting and Photographing Hummingbirds of the Mid-Atlantic - Kindle edition by Willmore, Joe. Crafts, Hobbies & Home Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nope. Hummingbirds are found only in the Americas. Not Europe, Africa, Asia or any other continent.
I had no idea!
Lovely photos. And yeah, it's tricky because you want a wide enough DoF so the tips of the wings don't blur but also a fast shutter speed.

BTW, I actually have an e-book on Amazon about attracting and shooting hummingbirds. What flowers to plant, how they're attracted by red, and a range of setups for good photos. All the photos in it are mine. It's got low-tech and high-tech setups: Hummingbirds: Attracting and Photographing Hummingbirds of the Mid-Atlantic - Kindle edition by Willmore, Joe. Crafts, Hobbies & Home Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Oh wow! I’ll have to check that out.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Very nice set.

Wow shutter speed. I don't have Topaz or any of those things for adjusting, but nice. Thanks for the advice and nice photos of success. Nice colors too. Depth of field looks more that suitable.

Yes Hummers are fairly friendly. I've had them fly up next to my head, while I was filling a feeder, like a giant bug. The sound is amazing. (even for a somewhat deaf guy)

Ours come around a dawn and dusk, so I get no light or back light.

Wow shutter speed. I don't have Topaz or any of those things for adjusting, but nice. Thanks for the advice and nice photos of success. Nice colors too. Depth of field looks more that suitable.

Yes Hummers are fairly friendly. I've had them fly up next to my head, while I was filling a feeder, like a giant bug. The sound is amazing. (even for a somewhat deaf guy)

Ours come around a dawn and dusk, so I get no light or back light.
Yes! I took the feeder inside the other day to clean and fill it. I came back out without it and got buzzed and jabbered at lol. I definitely heard it before I saw it. They’re very aptly named.

At first we only saw them near dawn and dusk but now they seem to be more comfortable with us and are at the feeder constantly throughout the day, even when the dog is in the area. On Sunday we had family over and they still buzzed in and out despite all the people and noise. They flee at any sudden movement. I’m becoming very stealthy 😂.

Yes! I took the feeder inside the other day to clean and fill it. I came back out without it and got buzzed and jabbered at lol. I definitely heard it before I saw it. They’re very aptly named.

At first we only saw them near dawn and dusk but now they seem to be more comfortable with us and are at the feeder constantly throughout the day, even when the dog is in the area. On Sunday we had family over and they still buzzed in and out despite all the people and noise. They flee at any sudden movement. I’m becoming very stealthy 😂.
They own your yard now, post more pics!

Great set! I see you are getting good use out the 70-300mm

These are great, Sharon! I love the first one in particular but they're all good.

In my experience, yes they do get used to you and go about their business. I've had them buzz right up to me, stop a foot or so away and go up and down, checking out the bizarre giant. :lol:

Keep 'em coming!

They own your yard now, post more pics!
I do have more lol. I'm officially obsessed.
Great set! I see you are getting good use out the 70-300mm
Loving the 70-300 so much! Still learning the idiosyncrasies of the AFC and Tracking on the XT2. Suddenly my batteries are dying off quite quickly. They may be spent. Thinking it might be time for the XT4...
These are great, Sharon! I love the first one in particular but they're all good.

In my experience, yes they do get used to you and go about their business. I've had them buzz right up to me, stop a foot or so away and go up and down, checking out the bizarre giant. :lol:

Keep 'em coming!
Thank you. Oh yes expect to see a lot more before they migrate south!
Very nice! My wife and I can sit for hours and watch them and the chipmunks.
Thanks! Alas we have not seen a chipmunk since we got Harlie. She is very determined to protect her yard from other 4 legged critters. She ignores the birds, tries to catch the bumblebees and chases away the bunnies, chipmunks and squirrels.

I could get out a faster lens and try? I'll have to clean and fill the little feeder, they like it and are nice to watch at dusk. But because of my "best" camera being a 50-D there are some potential issues. Let me put it this way?

barney-chainsaw-ramsey.jpg

Most reactions

Back