It's Alive!!!

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My laptop, which has been dead for about 2 years now is running!

(It took a full pint of beer down the keyboard.)

I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows...
Running recovery software now...

Hopefully I'll be able to recover my RAWs. That's all I really want off of it, but it is nice that it's working again.

So far the recovery software has found over 1000 files (but no RAWs), it's only like 15% done though, so maybe there's hope.

:)

It would be awesome if I could recover them! All of the pictures from when my daughter was born are on there. I backed them up to a DVD, but something went wrong and the disk came out blank. :(

By the time I noticed, it was too late.

Last edited:
Lightweight? I was thinking to myself that a whole pint would make it a hard-drinking laptop! Laptops from the Order of Windows aren't supposed to drink any alcohol, so when one of them slips off the wagon and chugs a pint....well, that's news!

On a more serious note, keep at the recovery process. Higher-quality SanDisk CF cards come with a small 181 megabyte mini-CD disc that has some recovery software that I have found to be pretty good; it has recovered RAW files for me as .TIF files, failing to find .CR2 files, but instead finding the large files and,somehow, converting them to 16-bit TIF files.

There's always hope. Until it's hopeless.

Lightweight? I was thinking to myself that a whole pint would make it a hard-drinking laptop! Laptops from the Order of Windows aren't supposed to drink any alcohol, so when one of them slips off the wagon and chugs a pint....well, that's news!

yeah.....Lightweight, it took an entire two years to get over the hangover :lol:

Yay!

Still only at like 25%, but it's found over 10000 files, about 1500 (so far) of which are pictures.

It's looking pretty good... :)

My laptop, which has been dead for about 2 years now is running!

(It took a full pint of beer down the keyboard.)

I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows...
Running recovery software now...

Hopefully I'll be able to recover my RAWs. That's all I really want off of it, but it is nice that it's working again.

So far the recovery software has found over 1000 files (but no RAWs), it's only like 15% done though, so maybe there's hope.

:)

It would be awesome if I could recover them! All of the pictures from when my daughter was born are on there. I backed them up to a DVD, but something went wrong and the disk came out blank. :(

By the time I noticed, it was too late.

Somebody had a bit too much to drink that day :lmao:

Hopefully you get em back

The same thing happened to me...backed up all my photos to DVDs, and I even checked the DVDs to make sure they'd work. Well, a while later, after getting a new computer, something happened (can't remember what), and I lost those particular photos from my hard drive. I retrieved the DVDs, and the computer saw them as blank. Every other computer I've tried since has also turned up with nothing.

My recovery software got about half of them, but I lost a good 8GB og RAW files in that... Luckily it was back in those early learning days, where there wasn't all that much worth saving.

Here's hoping you get all your stuff back!

Looking good so far.

40%(ish), 45000 files!

Wow, didn't think I had that much...

It also means you can watch tv while on the net....lol :thumbup:

Josh, may i ask hich software you are using?
and did you do a full disk format or a quick format?

Ah the joys of Digital vs Film (speaking about the perservation of the files... In other words, film = better for keeping safe)
Bought myself a Canon EOS 500N should be here thursday :D

and did you do a full disk format or a quick format?

Full Format, but does that really matter? The information is all still there, it just doesn't know where to look.

I'm using Pareto Logic. Found it for free after a few searches. Seems to be working pretty good.

BTW, it looks like about 75% (it doesn't say what 'percent' it is, I'm just guessing based on how long the bar is), and about 87000 files found so far.

Some of those (about 6000) are just folders though...

...If I knew it would take this long to scan the whole hard drive, I would have started yesterday...

Last edited:
On a more serious note, sorry to hear about the potential total loss of the photos.

They were "totally lost" before, now there's a chance I can get some of them back. Anything is better than nothing...

(speaking about the perservation of the files... In other words, film = better for keeping safe)

I've probably still lost more negatives than digital files, even if I was unable to recover anything.

At least with digital, you have a chance to get it back. With film, once it's gone - it's gone.

Most reactions

Back