It's finally happened!

NJP, what exciting news!!!! Am I right that this is the first house you've bought?
woohoo.gif
Congrats!

It has such character....love that bench seat by the windows, and the fact the house has so many windows to let the light in. You've got to take tons of 'before', 'during' and 'after' shots as you fix it up.

How about painting it Duck Green and Yellow? That would fit in there in Oregon!

NJP, what exciting news!!!! Am I right that this is the first house you've bought?
woohoo.gif
Congrats!

It has such character....love that bench seat by the windows, and the fact the house has so many windows to let the light in. You've got to take tons of 'before', 'during' and 'after' shots as you fix it up.

Yes, it's my first place. And I need to remind myself of that every day.

I've got some during shots to post, too. In fact I'll try to do that here in a bit.

Some interior shots:

Front hall
DSCF0006.jpg

Living room
DSCF0007.jpg

Kitchen
DSCF0035.jpg

First beer in the new house
DSCF0012.jpg

I peeked beneath the paneling to see what was back there. This is what I saw

Minuswallpaper006.jpg

It's original wainscoting and vintage wallpaper, probably from the World War I era. The house was built about 1900, by the way.
Minuswallpaper012.jpg

Minuswallpaper015.jpg

Detail of the Victorian wallpaper
Minuswallpaper014.jpg

Oh, and this shot shows the location of where my tools WERE...before they were pilfered last night

Minuswallpaper016.jpg

I dont mind the blue. just a fresh coat to brighten it up. Id be going for a yellow in there somewhere too. High pressure wash those concrete areas and acid etch them, cut to make it look like tiles and grout the cuts. I love spending other peoples money. Have someone check your roof out, some places look damp. No point doing a reco if there are leaks. Does look like a cosey house and will have plenty of character when you are finished. Probably seems like a long way away but the years will fly. Before you know it, it will be complete.

Roof's good--it was put on about 5 years ago after a fire. So that I can tell, there aren't any leaks.

I have problems with appreciating the greatness of an old home in good condition. But for someone who is able to do so (I guess I'm not old enough or mature enough or something), this is a great find.

It has a lot of character. I may like newer stuff, but everything made in the last 20 years is very cookie-cutter. This has its own identity, which to me is really cool.

I still think you need to paint it Oregon Duck green and yellow. You'd LOVE IT! :)

Hey guys. Sorry I've been absent but I'm preoccupied with...yes...MY NEW HOUSE!!! :boogie:After a month of negotiation and headaches with financing, I'm now a homeowner. And I think I got a good deal. It's a cozy little number that I plan on restoring over the next few years. Here's some pics. Any suggestions on a paint color? :lol:

Congrats on being a homeowner! :boogie: It looks like a great house too. You'll have lots of fun with it. I restored a little 1920s bungalow style home in San Diego - it was a great house. Have you looked under the carpet to see if there is hardwood flooring?

Congrats on being a homeowner! :boogie: It looks like a great house too. You'll have lots of fun with it. I restored a little 1920s bungalow style home in San Diego - it was a great house. Have you looked under the carpet to see if there is hardwood flooring?

Thanks, Christina! I attacked the front yard tonight after work. The house has been vacant for two years, so it's quite overgrown. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

I looked under the carpet and found...green and white mastic tiles glued right to the original old-growth fir flooring. :( So I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I think I'll leave that ugly effing carpet down for the time being. Unless, of course, you've got a great idea for removing mastic tiles on wood floors...

Most reactions

Back