I took that same route, XTi -> 50D, and I know you will absolutely LOVE it. As far as I'm concerned, I really have no need to buy another camera untill I buy a 5DII or canon releases a successor to the 7D.
Congrats!
Thanks! I will probably stay APS-C, so i'll wait to see where things go from the 7D on up. Did you get a Batter Grip with your? Man, this thing is huge!
Yes, I got the Flashpoint one off Adorama.com (
ZE-CBG40 Flashpoint Professional Battery Grip with Vertical Firing Release for Canon Digital 20D 30D 40D 50D SLR cameras)
I like it quite a bit, and compared to the expensive Canon one, this one has all the functionality for about 1/3 the price. As I wrote on my user review:
"Was looking for a grip and saw the Canon brand grip was very pricy. This boasts all the same features: AE Lock, AF select, and selection wheel along with the shutter button on the side; for a fraction of the cost. There doesn't seem to be any sacrifice in build quality, and even the rubber used for the side grip feels just as good, if not a bit softer than the rubber on my 50D.
Holds two 50D batteries or 6 AA batteries. Haven't used the AAs at all, but two regular batteries gives a significantly extended life span for shooting.
Grip is comfortable to hold in both regular and verticle shooting. Has tripod mount underneath, and on/off switch for the side buttons.
Very pleased with it and would recommend this highly!"
The only thing I would add is if you use a tripod mount strap (like the BlackRapid RS4 that I use), the verticle grip is a bit awkward to use with the strap attached because the strap mount is in the palm of your hand.