Its not a Daddy longlegs - promise!

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well its getting harder to find insects for me now - even though it was a bright sunny day and the was just right - there was nothing much I could find barring daddy longlegs -- loads of them, but not much else! Part of the problem is I just don't know where stuff is round here (uni) plus our garden at home attracted a lot of different bugs 0 well will be fun times hunting them

3264221328_d036064d2f.jpg

Taken with Canon 400D, Sigma 150mm macro, 1.4 Teleconverter, flash
f13, ISO 100, 1/160sec, manual mode, handheld, flash used
link to larger: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/234/3264221328_ede4b2eccc_o.jpg
100% crop:
3264223720_812dff0a88_o.jpg

I used a different sharpening method this time - I used the sharpening controls in my RAW editer (photoshop elements) and I think this came out sharper than I usually achive - I will experiment more with this!

Any comments/crits welcome - thank you

Last edited:
Those are nice and crisp. Real good shooting! do you loose anything by using the teleconverter?

Thanks both :)

Yes you lose one stop of light for a 1.4 teleconverter as well as a very tiny amout of image quality. But you gain in working distance and magnification factor - hence why you can just see the segments of the eye at fulllsize.
For smaller bugs I really like having the 1.4 attached and the loss of light is marginal since I am already working with smaller apertures and a flash for macro work anyway. Larger bugs (like butterflies) if I am working from getting a full body and wing shot I prefer not to have the TC attached, but for closeup headshots its great to have.

Working distance also reduces a fraction as well, but its managable for the 1.4 teleconverter - now the 2* teleconverter is a whole other story of focusing pains ;)

Wow, nice shot! I'm not usually a fan of flash photography but in this case I can't even tell the lighting isn't natural, even with the shine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back