There's better things to worry about than mastering your camera

ralphh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Thought I’d write a short article for the beginners on here (ok, short-ish -it will probably take up a whole 5 to 10 mins of your life to read. Might save you years tho! It does get less text-heavy as you go on ;) ).

I see a lot of questions about camera settings and gear. I also see a lot of people come on TPF with very little camera or photography experience wanting to start their own business and get told they can’t until they’ve “mastered” their cameras and bought better gear.

What I don’t see on the beginner boards is discussions about light and composition, which are much more fundamental and important than what settings your camera is on or even which camera you have.

If you really want to get the “basics” right, it’s light and composition you need to be thinking about. Camera settings can come later, or even not at all…

This is not a how-to article, but more a what-to-invest-your-learning-time-into-first article. All the information you’ll ever need is already out there on the internet. You just need to decide what to learn about.

My basic point here is that mastering all your camera settings and upgrading your gear pales to nothing in comparison to mastering light and composition, and you could be taking good photos on green-box-auto instead of taking bad ones on full manual if you diverted your attention away from all those switches and buttons and gear reviews and onto something more important.

Don’t get me wrong; clearly we eventually want to master everything so we can have vision and deliver on it in the best possible way, BUT, while there are indeed times when, for example full auto mode with deliver truly horrendous results, it will probably work just fine 90% of the time. Not thinking about composition and light will yield horrid results at least 90% of the time (and that is a very conservative estimate).

Given there’s only so many hours in the day, do you want to work on fixing the 10% you ruined by being on auto, or the 90% you ruined with bad lighting and composition? If you’d rather take bad photos with the right settings, or find that taking photos is secondary to reading the latest gear reviews, this thread is probably not going to interest you. If you’d like to progress at taking much better photos as quickly as possible, read on.

So why do people always start with camera settings? Why do people - even those who own cameras - ask “what camera / settings did you use for that?”. Well I suspect there are 3 main reasons:

1. The main one is probably that people don’t realise there’s anything else to it – if photo (A) looks bad and photo (B) looks good, the difference must be somehow related to the camera; people just don’t understand that light has different qualities and how fundamentally important light and composition are in terms of making or breaking a photograph.

2. Using something you don’t fully understand makes you feel like a passenger rather than the driver. But really, you’re still in charge of all the most important bits of a photograph (ie everything that goes into the front of the lens), even on Auto. If you want to “take charge” of something then take charge of something that actually matters and that the camera can’t help you with.

3. Playing with technology and lusting after gear is just a lot more fun than thinking about light and composition! ;)

A few years ago, if someone had asked me to teach them photography I would have started with the fundamentals of exposure. By the time I was through with them they’d have been able to explain exactly why a 50mm f1.4 lens has as aperture radius of 17.6mm wide open, but they probably wouldn’t actually be any better at taking a good photograph. Good job no-one did ask me! Now days, if I was going to teach someone photography I’d probably start off by cutting a rectangle in a sheet of card and have them look through it and tell me what they can see.

Enough waffle, must be time for me to back all those statements up with some evidence…

So, let’s start off with some context; today I have decided to make a portrait of my 5-month-old daughter to hang on the wall of her grandmother’s house (grandmothers like this sort of thing, mother’s day is coming up next weekend in the UK and I’m gonna save a little cash and give my mother a photo of her granddaughter instead of going and spending my hard-earned money!).

I’m busy this afternoon and tomorrow, I get home after she goes to bed during the week, and grandma is coming to visit next Saturday, so it has to be this morning. No pressure on producing something that demonstrates my point to go with this article then! And I need get a printable photo out of it too…

Let’s start with a how to take terrible photo – and lets put me back at the start of my journey into photography… I pick up my point and shoot, which is on green-box-auto-noob-mode, walk up to my daughter, point it at her, press the shutter and POW! Instant free present! Woo!

s95bad.jpg

ah… well that looks like cr@p – I better get some good gear, and learn how to “master” my camera

Ok, so let’s pretend I’m the worlds fastest camera buyer, reader and learner; I get hold of a full frame DSLR, a 35mm f1.4 prime (probably having bought a crop DSLR and zoom lenses first, later upgrading everything), and go on the interweb, learn everything there is to know about camera settings all in an hour and come back (otherwise daughter will be at collage and grandma will be dead before we get to the end of this article).

This time I’m ‘taking control’ of my DSLR – I select my aperture, dial in some exposure comp, and I set my ISO so I have a decent shutter speed. I’m using the centre focus point because it’s more accurate – it’s cross type y’know… I’m gonna use f2.8 because this lens sharpens up a bit in the corners stopped a couple of stops, and I’ve set it to RAW format, so I can change my WB, sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc later on my now properly calibrated monitor.. yada yada yada…. oh yeeeaah, i AM the master...

POW! Advanced camera uber control skill home made present!

5dbad.jpg

She's gone from looking bemused to looking thoroughly disappointed.....

The expensive gear doesn’t seem to have helped much, and clearly I haven’t actually progressed as a photographer very much either - in reality I’ve probably spent years learning all about camera settings, just to go ahead and pick pretty similar values to the ones the camera would have picked in Auto in the first place, in the mistaken belief that camera settings are a key thing that’s wrong here. The only thing I need to do is add a watermark and I’ll be good enough to be featured on youarenotaphotographer.com

So, could I have used that time and energy to progress more if I’d have been learning something different?

Given that this scenario isn’t actually fictional – I really am tight-fisted, and my mother really is going to get a photo of my daughter for mother’s day, printed on my crummy all-in-one inkjet, and I really do needed to do this today, I’ll take you through how I would approach this.

This is the way I approach taking a photo when I want to produce something more than a snapshot (if you pay attention, you may notice the camera doesn’t actually appear in this until quite near the end):

First, let’s think about what I actually want this photo to look like. I’d like to show my daughter playing (with) her little plastic piano – last time grandma was round she loved watching her play (whacking) it. Obviously I want her looking at the camera, but the piano is uninteresting from the back. Maybe I can shoot her slightly from behind / to the side, and see if I can get her to look over her shoulder at me. At this point a mental image starts to form. I imagine her on the right hand side of the frame, her face (the main subject) being in the top-right 3rd, looking at me, with the composition balanced by the secondary subject of the piano mid/low left. I’m thinking that to show the piano keyboard properly I need to be slightly above her level, but I don’t want to be looking down on her from miles above. I’m probably going to want the camera about 6” above her eye level, but I’ll finalise that when I’m actually looking through the viewfinder.

I start to give other things like the background some consideration. It’s nothing complicated this time; I want a clean, uncluttered background – preferably a light neutral colour to make her and her little plastic piano pop, but I definitely do not want a white studio background look – I want this to look like I shot it in the house, not in the studio; uncluttered and clean, but without the clinically-clean seamless paper look. Despite that, I do want it look somewhat formal as I want it to be reminiscent of the photos my mother has of me as a baby.

I now have a very strong picture of what it’ll look like, and it looks nice in my mind. If I wasn’t an incompetent ape when it comes to wielding a paintbrush I could paint it instead. If I can’t get it straight in my mind then most of the time I won’t go any further with it – if you can’t get a picture to look good in your head then you have very little chance of getting it to look good with the camera except by luck.

Now that I know what I want compositionally, I’m going to think about my light. Given my daughter is only 5 months old, she can sit up for about a minute tops. Then she’ll get too tired, keel over, and I’ll not be able to sit her back up again, so I have no time to adjust once she’s “on set”. Knowing what I want, and how to get it is key - I can't experiment here.

I want a soft, gentle light, reasonably even, but not flat; it still needs to have some direction to it to give form and shape, but I don’t want harsh or deep shadows – young children rarely look good with 'creative' lighting, so let’s look around the house to see where the light is how I want it… (I won’t bother taking you on a photo tour of my house, but skip ahead to the point where I’ve found some nice light).

So, in my bedroom there are two windows near my bed. Opposite them the wall is painted white. So I can sit my daughter on the bed with a white background (ok, it’ll be light grey in the final image as I’m not lighting it, and it’s further from the light source than she will be, but that’s fine).

The fact that there’s two windows means that I’ll have light from both sides and I’ll not have any deep shadows; I’ll end up with a key-light & fill-light situation and I can move my daughter nearer to one window or the other to change the ratio and softness of the light. This room faces south, but the fact that it’s cloudy outside means the light will be pretty soft coming straight through the windows so we can be close to them. If I only had one window I’d use a reflector, and if it was summer I’d move further from the window into the shade, or find a north facing window to give me some much softer lighting. I will always be able to find or modify the light so that fits the bill.

I already know what the difference looks like between key-lighting the near side of a face (called broard-light) and far sides of a face (called short-light). I want the stronger light on her back and the near side of face so I’ll place her nearer to the right hand window. This means moving the bed a bit, but that’s no biggie.

I used an aftershave bottle to quickly double check my light – to make sure it really is going in the direction I think, and shadows are being filled. While I was checking that I thought I’d be helpful and take a quick snap.

The shot on the left is with only the key-light window (I shut the curtains on the other) the shot on the right is using both windows. Notice how it doesn’t get any brighter (as the camera has compensated) but the shadow is significantly filled.

shadowsl.jpg

You could of course use off-camera flash instead, but either way, the light needs to thought about, and finding some nice light in your house can very often be done with minimal equipment - reflector and a window will often do the job -- you just need to see and understand what it is you are seeing by learning about light.

Either way, you can see the amount of thought I’m putting into the lighting, and the fact that there are endless options for getting it how I want it, regardless of what state the natural light is in when I find it. There are plently of places to learn this stuff.

Next, I neatly make the bed and put a light cream blanket on it so I have a nice surface to work on. The scene is set, I just need my model.

I pop my daughter down with her piano, arranged like I planned, crouch down, look at it, and make sure it’s going to look right. I look at the background, and realise I need to take down the picture hanging on the wall. Really should have thought of that before now, but I never claimed I was perfect! Now I can get my camera involved. I get everything lined up in the viewfinder nicely, as close to as I pictured it as possible, but making final adjustments now imagination has met reality to make sure that it’s well framed and composed, I call her to make her look over her shoulder at me....

img1796resize.jpg

img1794edit.jpg

And this time I have something that grandma will love. Ok, I’m not going to win any awards for these, but it is very close to what I imagined and I’d say mission accomplished. The actual taking of the photographs took seconds (all i really had), and was nothing complicated.

So upgrading my gear and learning about my camera settings got me from here to here:

comp1l.jpg

But by learning a few bits about light, and putting some thought into my composition got me from here to here:

comp2wel.jpg

It’s pretty clear what makes the biggest difference.

And in case you're thinking "ok, he made a bad photo with a DSLR, that doesn't mean you can make a good one with a point and shoot on auto with no considderation of camera settings", this lighting situation is not tricky for a camera on auto. Evern a point and shoot on auto would have rendered the scene pretty well too. In fact I took one, just to prove the point:

img1143resize.jpg

Sadly my daughter was already starting to sag, so and I rushed it, and fluffed it somewhat, and only got one chance (she fell over just after this shot), so isn’t as nice looking as the DSLR one above, but that has nothing to do the camera, I promise - it's the framing and view point. White balance is a bit off too, but that's a 1-click fix in photoshop elements, and it’s still a LOT better than the sucky DSLR one, and this was shot without any thought about camera settings AT ALL – full blown green auto mode. There are significant differences between DSLR and point-and-shoot at 100% crop of course, but this is a function of sensor size and lens quality not manual vs auto and what it looks like at 100% on screen is not what makes or breaks an image:

eyecomp.jpg

On flickr or in a smallish print you wouldn’t see these differences, and most people who wind up here already have a DSLR of some sort, not a compact.

Again, please note that I’m not in any way saying nice gear and camera settings are not important, of course they are, and some settings like aperture and focus have a direct effect on your composition itself (no, not framing, composition and framing are different), I’m just saying they’re less important that what is actually entering your lens.

I’m also not claiming to be a great photographer - I’m still working hard to improve, but it took me years and years to realise that to really improve, I need to be worrying about light and composition much more than settings and gear... all that wasted time and money… *sigh*

Bottom line;

Good gear and the right camera settings are the icing on the cake, but first make sure it is a cake you’re icing, not a turd. No-one likes iced turd.

^^ hmmm, that’d make a good signature

Anyway, just something to think about when deciding where to expend your time and effort when trying to become a better photographer…

-------------------------------------------
EDIT: A couple of people have raised a valid issue with my point here, which is that when you get onto more advanced subjects, camera settings are just as important, and in some cases possibly even more important than light an composition. It was never my intention to say this was not the case;

Just to be clear, I was specifically aiming this at beginners and the things beginners tend to photograph - their friends, their children, their cat.... Or the mum who's bought a camera to photograph her kids and now wants to start a little back-room business photographing other peroples kids. More advanced portrait (and cat) phototographer should also find this useful too.

Someone taking long exposure night scenes of city-scapes... not so much ;)

Re-reading my article, this wasn't as clear as it could have been, so appologies for that.

Last edited:
Well said, and definatly needed saying. Pre-visualization really is all important. When I started in photography, in 1947, I was happily sailing along with my Speed Graphic (a pre Anniverary model), that my grandfather gave me (here kiddo, take this off my hands. Baba, I said, that's your favorite camera. Kiddo, that's yesterdays news. I found and bought a 5X7 Speed Graphic, and this little 4X5 is superflous to my needs). And he gave me a film pack (12 sheets of film), Ansco Super Plenachrome. I blew through that pack in about 3 days. Granddad showed how to develope by inspection. Pics were awful. And if you don't think it was like a sledge hammer between the eyes, you've never seen an awful 4X5 contact print. "Baba, why are these so bad?" And he told me roughly the same thing as you have done in your post. I hope a lot of gear fanatics and others read this, and apply it.

Hmmm... some valid points there to be sure, however, I disagree with half of your basic premise. IMO, unless you have a thorough understanding of your camera's basic controls (aperture, SS, WB, EC, ISO), the best lit scene in the world won't do you much good if you don't know how to set the camera to capture the appropriate exposure. Now, of course, you could throw it into 'Professional' mode, HOWEVER, then your DoF, SS and WB are a crap shoot, and while you might get the right exposure, you could equally wind up with much more or more less DoF than you intended.

With the exception of the actual, physical gear, so one element of photography is less important than another. You must understand composition, you must understand light, you must understand exposure, and to capture that image, in that manner, you must understand your camera's controls.

I suspect it will be a little long for most people to read (we have short attentions spans), but your discussion of how you were looking at the light shows your sensibility is evolving. Part of the reason more people don't start "with the light" is that that is not a question that even know to ask. It only starts making sense once you begin to see the way the various sources of light interact to give you the scene you're seeing. And that awareness of the light "nuts and bolts" doesn't come to the surface for most, because it is irrelevant for pretty much all everyday living. Only when you start creating images (either photography, or drawing or painting), does the play of the light on your subject, and the way it creates the shadows that give depth, reveal texture, and paint the highlights, become something to notice and understand.

I am hoping that you will get feedback from other photographers who have not yet travelled as far down the road as you have.

You have an important point here, thanks for this article, it remind us not to "focus" so much on the camera but on the message you want to convey.
It is the same as in life, set yourself a goal, think about how to achieve it, do it... keep going...

....short attention span here....it started sounding blasphemous,so i skipped the rest.........is there a readers digest version? :popcorn:

....short attention span here....it started sounding blasphemous,so i skipped the rest.........is there a readers digest version? :popcorn:

Short version: Light's important.

Why you ask? You'll need to read the article.

@ Ralphh: There are a bunch of things that are involved with making images: 1) conception, 2) staging, 3) exposure, 4) post-processing. What we call "snapshots" are all about #3. Facebook snapshots are #3 followed by lots of inappropriate #4. Light management is part of #2, along with scene selection, model/subject preparation, posing. And #1 comes into play when you have enough skills to conceptualize what is possible.

Well first of all well done Ralphh, you have outdone yourself on this one mate.

It's something I still struggle with and am only just starting to be aware of the light conditions and trying to put more thought into my pics. I've certianly found this very useful indeed and want to say thanks for your explination about how you go about creating an image like this and what you do to get the right lighting conditions to work with. You've just produced a must read for anyone with a camera, great job!

If at somepoint you would think about doing a similar one but about how to capture the light when you are out and about as well I for one would be very interested.....?

@ weepete - that starts to happen when you're aware of the light, and when you're walking about you can be noticing how the light is with any scene. Then memory and planning come into play - oh that was a really nice light on that building last night, just after sunset - I'll try and be there at the same time to capture the image...

Or you see an appropriate subject, and think about when during the day you need to be there so the light is shining on all the right spots, and the shadows fall where they need to be. That's how some gorgeous images get made.

... i meant absolutely no disrespect.It was just too long for me.It's kind of funny,tho,that what I've been looking at is the darkness/shadows.Some video I watched gave an Italian name for it which escapes me,but it had to do with the play of light/dark.

Thanks pgriz, probably like a lot of aspiring photographers I'm very much "in the moment" with what I try and capture. I tend to see something that captures my attention and go for it.

But it is something I think I need to work on a lot more, I don't often go back to the same places so mibbies I need to make a point and find a location I like and do exactly what you are saying.

This year I plan to really push myself and get my pics to the next level, so this kind of thing is increasingly more important as I want to move from getting a resonable pic to produce some really great images. I'll mibbies just need to put as much time, effort and dedication into photography asI do with my fishing!

Now fishing is a darn good analogy. When you go fishing, you go to the places that worked before, and you go at the times that fish are biting. Which means you already are planning things. Photography is no different, other than some of it is more under your control.

It helps to think about which images you've made that really worked - what was it about each one that made it special? That's your learning opportunity - to extract from the specific instance a more general guideline to help you with your future shots. Same goes for looking at other people's work - which images really grab your attention? Why? If you were to do it, how would you go about replicating it? That's not to say you need to be a copy-cat - more that you extract the lesson and see if you can apply the lesson.

Oooooh, mate, I think you've just changed the way I think about my pics. Thank you.

I'm gonna start hunting light the same way I go about hunting fish (glad you got the analogy btw). I also happen to be one of the few dedicated sea anglers in the UK, so I understand completley the fishing analogy, again thanks.

I'm at the stage that when I go fishing I expect to catch fish, that is what I'm there for and that's what I like. A blank ruins my day and I'm no afraid to admit it either. I do a lot of work to increase my average chances of catching. Don't get me wrong, I like being outside in wild. places but if I'm no fussed about catching a fish I may as well leave the rods at home.

So, time to do that with my photography too.

Ooh, so many things to answer.

Firstly, blast and damn, I really meant to put this in the begginers forum, notthe 'beyond the basics' one. Never mind

Hmmm... some valid points there to be sure, however, I disagree with half of your basic premise. IMO, unless you have a thorough understanding of your camera's basic controls (aperture, SS, WB, EC, ISO), the best lit scene in the world won't do you much good if you don't know how to set the camera to capture the appropriate exposure. Now, of course, you could throw it into 'Professional' mode, HOWEVER, then your DoF, SS and WB are a crap shoot, and while you might get the right exposure, you could equally wind up with much more or more less DoF than you intended.

With the exception of the actual, physical gear, so one element of photography is less important than another. You must understand composition, you must understand light, you must understand exposure, and to capture that image, in that manner, you must understand your camera's controls.

I think that depends largely on context.

If I think about photographing star trails.. well a church silhouetted at the bottom might be nice, but beyond that, composition is a largly moot point
Lighting? Well stars are stars.
Camera settings are everything in a shot like this.

Motorsports? Well go shoot green-box auto all day and your keeper rate is going to be zero.

I can certainly agree with you on more advanced photography subjects...

BUT, I was talking about beginners and the things beginners tend to photograph - their friends, their children, their cat.... Or the mum who's bought a camera to photograph her kids and now wants to start a little back-room business photographing other kids.

With this stuff, it really doesn't matter quite so much.

Lets use this as a case in point; shot green-box auto on my wifes point and shoot:
img1143resize2.jpg

Ok, there's a couple of compositional issues - the blanket showing above the piano is not good, i've cropped off half her bum and she's learning towards the camera too much, but;
Aperture- well, pretty much any aperture would do - ok, a larger one would give it more punch, but from f2 to f22, it's not going to make or break the image
Shutter speed - so long as it's fast enough - and most camera should give you a shutterspeed fast enough to shoot a more or less stationary object on auto, then it really doesn't matter - anywhere from 1/50th to 1/4000th will do.
WB - well most DSLRs do pretty well. This little point and shoot got it a bit off (tho not enough to ruin the photo), but even then it was a one-click fix in photoshop
Exposure - well with the easy lighting situation I created, it's got no excuse to mess up and it hasn't - it looks fine to me.

So despite shooting on full auto, this photo is not a "crap shoot" of camera settings, and it's certainly miles better than the all-settings-no-composition one I shot for the article.

... i meant absolutely no disrespect.It was just too long for me.It's kind of funny,tho,that what I've been looking at is the darkness/shadows.Some video I watched gave an Italian name for it which escapes me,but it had to do with the play of light/dark.

None taken. Short version:

Master camera, light and composition, you will get good results every time.

For the stuff that most beginners shoot, family, kids, pets, etc
- Master only your camera and forget about light and compostion you will get crap every time
- Master your lighting and composition and let the camera worry about settings and you'll get something pretty reasonable most of the time.

So while it makes sense to know everything eventually, a good place to start is lighting and composition as camera settings alone will get you no-where. You camera can do the camera settings for you (to an extent) it cannot do your lighting and composition, so if you're not thinking about those, no-one is.

Well first of all well done Ralphh, you have outdone yourself on this one mate.

It's something I still struggle with and am only just starting to be aware of the light conditions and trying to put more thought into my pics. I've certianly found this very useful indeed and want to say thanks for your explination about how you go about creating an image like this and what you do to get the right lighting conditions to work with. You've just produced a must read for anyone with a camera, great job!

If at somepoint you would think about doing a similar one but about how to capture the light when you are out and about as well I for one would be very interested.....?

It might sound odd, but actually the best thing I can recommend is buy a book on studio lighting. Light is light and once you understand it and learn to see it you'll find it everywhere / know how to tweak it. While not a riveting read, this has all the info you'll need to know, plus LOTS of pictures showing how different lightings look on portraits: Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers: Amazon.co.uk: Christopher Grey: Books

The trouble is we see the world in 3 dimensions, and we naturally (consciously) see shapes and colours, not highlights and shadows. Once it's flat, the only indication of somethings 3d shape is the shadows, and you become much more conscious of seeing the light and how it interacts with the object. You need to start consciously looking at how light falls. Look at the shadows on peoples faces all the time as you go about your day, as you talk to people at work, etc. If you get into the habit of seeing these things, you'll always see it. Then you just need to know what you want and how to get it ;)

I've never seen a really good book on natural light. Maybe one day when I am really good and can back up everything I'd need to talk about with very good examples of my own, I will write an eBook. I'd rather write the text, then shoot the examples.

But maybe before then I'll write an article for here, it's not a bad idea. I will need to wait till the weather in London improves though to shoot the examples to go with the text- the light is very soft at this time of year anyway due to the blanket cloud cover, so the idea of trying to "find" soft light outdoors is a bit of a non-issue - you just go outside :lol:. Indoors still needs some thought of course as the windows give it direction and therefor create shadows.

This is one of the better articles I've read on using natural light recently: Molding ambient light | Model Mayhem Education Blog, but it's really not beginner stuff. If you don't already have a good working knowledge of the subject it'll be a bit deep-end. There must be loads of stuff our there. I'll probably do a lot of research so I don't miss anything when writing my article. I'll PM you any really useful links I find.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great post, OP!

I have a friend who does photo shoots for her family and friends several times a year. I talk photography with her a lot, and while she's no "blank slate" by any means, I know that my understanding of anything the least bit technical (including exposure) is 1000x better than hers. I'm always trying to explain certain concepts to her and she just bobs her head but usually I can tell nothing is sinking in.

BUT... her photos are excellent! Markedly better than mine, that's for sure. She just knows how to not only dream up a scene, but she's also excellent at "working" with the subjects. She's living proof that your basic point is valid.

There's nothing more obnoxious on a photo forum than condescending gear snobs, so this post was a breath of fresh air; thank you for posting!

Most reactions

Back