It's official print magazines are dead

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My, things have changed. Makes me wonder what it will be like in 2050.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I just read that article too .. I was thinking the same thing.

unpopular

Reaction score
A few semesters ago I needed a bunch of nudie magazines for an assignment. I ended up reading getting distratced by the articles in Playboy.

I guess it's true what they say after all.

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Designer

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I only read the New York Times for the articles.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Oddly, I saw this last night on the NYT website just minutes after it appeared and there were NO comments. This AM I went back via your link and there were 342 comments! Interestingly, the reader comments are more compelling than the original article and its seven photos. Opinions about the magazine, both the historical Playboy and the current Playboy, are all over the map. Opinions are also very divided on this new business direction plan, the idea of eliminating nudes from Playboy. I was shocked to find that Playboy now has only 800,000 subscribers.

JacaRanda

Hobbyist Birdographer
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Oddly, I saw this last night on the NYT website just minutes after it appeared and there were NO comments. This AM I went back via your link and there were 342 comments! Interestingly, the reader comments are more compelling than the original article and its seven photos. Opinions about the magazine, both the historical Playboy and the current Playboy, are all over the map. Opinions are also very divided on this new business direction plan, the idea of eliminating nudes from Playboy. I was shocked to find that Playboy now has only 800,000 subscribers.

I found the comment by SK regarding Hustler and "normal looking women" interesting. Posted approx 2 hrs ago.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Yeah, I saw that comment. I read about 200 of the comments. Playboy's women in the 1980's were very often airbrushed pretty strongly, plus all the boob job types became very weird, just very,very weird, and by the mid-1980's Playboy's women were, as a class, very far from what real, everyday women looked like, and I remember there was a lot of talk at that time about what a stupid, unrealistic type of beauty idea Heffner's mag was pushing on a monthly basis. On the rare occasions they would publish photos of a woman with real, natural breasts, it was shocking to see what a REAL woman actually looked like compared against the blow-up doll types they normally featured. Silcone-ized women hold no attraction for me.

I have not seen an issue of Playboy since the 1990's, so I have no idea what the magazine has been doing over the past twenty years or more. I really don't care either, one way or the other, but I think this new business idea might actually help them gain some subscribers, just by eliminating the nudes.

cgw

Reaction score
What's left of Hefner's empire is a smoking ruin. Playboy's cachet vanished once it stopped being a kind of hip cultural oasis coincident with the world of "Mad Men." The world changed but Hefner's formula didn't.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
But as the article mentioned--the Playboy brand/icon/logo still has value in Asia and eastern Europe! lol... How the mighty have fallen!

"Ohhhhh, it's big in eastern Europe!"

OP
MSnowy

MSnowy

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have not seen an issue of Playboy since the 1990's, so I have no idea what the magazine has been doing over the past twenty years or more. I really don't care either, one way or the other, but I think this new business idea might actually help them gain some subscribers, just by eliminating the nudes.

I haven't seen a issue since the 90's . Funny thing is I've been on the internet since the 1990's. I think the first day got on the internet the first thing I searched for was naked women. So sorry Playboy it's my fault.

rexbobcat

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
It was only a matter of time. First came Penthouse (which surprisingly did full nudity first), and now the Internet.

Why buy Playboy when there are literally millions of equally as sensual, high quality images of naked women online.

Rob5589

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
PB was part of American culture for 4 decades. I grew up with it as did all my friends. But sadly, it's time/relevance has come to an end. If PB thinks it can go the way of Maxim and survive it is sorely mistaken.

RIP Playboy

BillM

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I must be weird, I only looked at the pictures :(

Most reactions

New Topics